George Gently in Australia: ABC1 will be showing Richard’s episode on 1st January at 9.50pm. Thanks to Pauline.
1. Strike Back Project Dawn in Poland: episode 1 and 2, featuring a brief appearance from Richard, will be shown on 7 January starting at 22:00 on HBO, 8 January at 22:00 on HBO2 and 10 January at 22:30 on HBO2. Here is the TV Schedule including the Spooks series 8 episodes mentioned in yesterday’s news. Thanks to Sylwia.
2. George Gently on PBS New York: WLIW21 are showing the pilot episode of George Gently at 4.30pm on 6 January. Richard played Ricky Deeming. Here is the TV schedule – change the date to see programming on 6 January.
3. Spooks (MI-5) series 7 on PBS Los Angeles: series 7 started on Wednesday 21 December and is showing every Wednesday at 22:00 on PBS KCET. MI-5 page on KCET. Thanks to Squidknox.
Spooks series 8 in Poland: BBC Entertainment will start “Tajniacy” series 8 on Sunday 8 January at 23:00. Here is the TV Schedule for 8 January and here is the list of Spooks 8 broadcast times. Thanks to Ania.
1. There’s a new Thorin Oakenshield wallpaper on the Other Character Wallpapers page with thanks to Angelfish69. It’s the last Thorin wallpaper in the list. If you want to display it on your desktop background, click to enlarge and right-mouse-click to set as desktop (on a Mac, save the image to your HD first).
2. Thanks to Lady Prisca for her latest drawing of Guy of Gisborne now on the Artwork page.
3. The Story of the Costume Drama is available on Canada’s TVO webpage – only available in Canada I think. See news #2 below in yesterday’s news for more information about this broadcast. Thanks to kitkatcdn on twitter.
1. Robin Hood series 3 in Australia: series 3 is being shown on ABC every afternoon this week and next at 1.30pm. Thanks to Pauline.
2. The Story of the Costume Drama: this five part documentary is being shown in TVO in Toronto/Ontario from 26 – 30 December at 8.00pm. Richard appeared in the third episode entitled ‘Affairs of the Heart’ talking about filming North and South, so this will be shown on Wednesday. The clip with Richard and Daniela Denby-Ashe is on the Costume Drama downloads page and here is the Costume Drama gallery. Thanks to Susmita.
3. Spooks series 9 in Canada: BBC Canada will be playing the whole of series 9 of Spooks, starting 8.00am EST on Wednesday 28 December. Thanks to Calexora.
4. Thank you to Joane for her brilliant drawing of Thorin Oakenshield now on the Artwork page.
5. North and South in Hungary: North and South starts today at 7.30pm in Hungary on the STORY4 channel and will be shown each day until Friday 30 December. Here is the TV Schedule, here is the North and South page and here is a page of promotional pictures. All the pictures that include Richard are in the North and South Promo gallery. Thanks to Karima.
6. Spooks series 7 in Germany: ZDFneo will show all eight episodes of Spooks series 7 on Monday 2 January at 10.40pm. Scan from TV Guide below – the picture is from series 9 but the description is clearly series 7. Thanks to NicK.
||Translation:”Old friends, new enemies”. The seventh series starts dramatically: at the start a British agent loses his life in a fight against terror. A new man, Lucas North (Richard Armitage) is released from Russian imprisonment. The focus of this series is on the Russian mafia. Eight episodes, starting Monday.
1. Richard has sent a Christmas message to his fans on RichardArmitageOnline.
2. I’ve added the Misty Mountains song to the Sounds page, so that you can listen to it from this site. It’s included in the download link on that page or you can download it here: mp3 format (right-click the link to download).
Peter Jackson has posted another video blog on his facebook page, showing the cast and crew on location. Most of the video shows the incredible logistics involved in moving all of their facilities around New Zealand. There are only very brief glimpses of the dwarves and Richard can be seen on a couple of shots which are now in the gallery. I’ve included the location map and a shot of the ‘Thorin mask’. Masks are often worn by the scale doubles.
Also added the last shot of the crew – that might be him dressed as Thorin on the platform in the top left, but a little difficult to tell. It’s a great shot anyway.
1. The International Business Times has a great review of The Hobbit trailer with specific mention of Richard: “Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) is especially convincing. He has the arrogant majesty of a deposed king and the underlying steeliness of the dwarves Tolkien fans know.”
2. Empire magazine has an excellent breakdown of the Hobbit trailer with descriptions and pictures of pivotal scenes. Praise for Richard’s performance too.
3. This clip of the Misty Mountains song on YouTube is edited so that the ending fades nicely without dialogue. If you click to reveal the description there is a free download link, and here it is again in mp3 format (right-click the link to download).
1. The Hobbit trailer is here on the Apple Trailers site – make sure you watch in HD! If you have RealPlayer or QuickTime Pro you can download while watching, otherwise a download is available on Bccmee’s site. Her YouTube video on the blog has closed captioning and a transcript.
Warner Bros have also put a HD version of the trailer on YouTube (below). Press play then change the settings to 1080p to see HD and zoom out to full screen.
Link to youtube.
2. There is now an official Hobbit website – press ‘Skip’ then change the Viewing Options to view in HD.
3. Eric Vespe has posted his sixth behind the scenes Hobbit report.
4. Screencaps from the trailer are in the Hobbit Trailer gallery. These images are high resolution 1920×1080 size images. Press ‘original image’ when viewing a picture to see the full size. Refresh your screen (press F5) if you cannot see the latest version of the gallery.
5. The Guardian mentions Richard in its review: “The dwarves look suitably jolly, though rather more youthful and fresh-faced than I’d imagined them. Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield has a certain Aragornish regality to him that I did not expect, though it makes a sort of sense in the context of the later films.” Thank you for all the emails regarding this review.
6. Peter Jackson has posted a teaser on his facebook page. Hopefully we’ll have an answer to this “Christmas treat” soon.
The Hobbit trailer goes online at 7pm PST, that’s 10pm EST in the States, 3am GMT here in the UK, 4am Central European Time and 4pm in New Zealand. As soon as the trailer is online I will provide a link on this site. It is likely to appear on the Apple Trailers site, Official Hobbit facebook page, Peter Jackson’s facebook page and/or The Hobbit Movie Blog as well as uploaded to YouTube.
1. On the Official Hobbit Facebook page today: “Return to Middle-earth on Tuesday, December 20th, with the worldwide debut of “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” announcement trailer at 7pm PST!”
Also you can see a larger, uncropped version of the still of Bilbo first seen online a couple of days ago.
2. Three new images have been added to the North and South Promo gallery – #7, #8 and #13. If you cannot see the new images, press F5 to refresh your screen.
1. In 2002 Richard appeared in a play in the Jackson’s Lane venue in London called ‘Use Me As Your Cardigan’. It was his first lead in a theatrical role and Jonia from the C19 forum has managed to find out lots of information about it, including pictures of Richard on-stage with his co-stars. Here is a link to the theatre production company site Charm Offensive – click to enlarge the photos – and here is Jonia’s blog with more details of the production. Thanks to Jonia for sharing.
The pictures of Richard are now in the gallery.
2. More Hobbit images (sorry no Thorin) and an interview with Martin Freeman in Total Film magazine – scans here with thanks to DarkJackal’s site. There’s a short quote from Richard on page 5.
Warner Bros have announced that satellite feed of The Hobbit trailer will go online on Dec 20 and 21, and also that it will be shown in cinemas on Dec 21 in front of the US release of Tintin. More details on Examiner.com who also show the latest image which was released by Empire magazine of Bilbo – click the image of Bilbo to enlarge. Empire magazine is released next week and the image appears in their ’2012: The Best Year for Movies Ever’ feature – more details on ComicBookMovie.com.
Update: scans of the two page article on The Hobbit from Empire magazine have been posted on TheOneRing.Net’s forum (post #3 from Jim). You don’t have to be a member of the forum to read the posts or see the scans. This is an interview with Martin Freeman only.
A link to the trailer will appear on this site as soon as I have it.
1. Episode 2 of Lost Land of the Tiger will be shown on the Eden channel in the UK today at 6pm. Thanks to SandraC.
2. The 19 minute interview with Richard that accompanied the four Robin Hood series 1 audiobooks has been freely available for download for many years from gr8buyaudiobooks.com but I’ve noticed today that this website is no longer available. The 2006 interview is now on this site and you can listen or download from the RH series 1 career page. At 7m 35s Richard talks about The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings: ‘I was read The Hobbit at primary school by a very good teacher who had a great reading voice…I did get quite obsessed with Lord of the Rings’.
3. Lego have been awarded the rights to make Lego Hobbit and LOTR toys. The official press release is here on Collider.com. So we can hope to see a miniature Thorin lego figure available late 2012!
4. Thank you to Joane for her latest drawing of Guy of Gisborne which is on the Artwork page.
5. Richard Armitage on TV in Hungary: The Golden Hour, North and South and The Impressionists will all be shown on various channels in Hungary over the next view days. Here’s the full TV schedule. Thanks to Zsuzsanna.
The Vicar of Dibley in Canada: Vision TV will be showing the Christmas special 2006 featuring Harry Kennedy on December 22nd and 23rd at 8.00pm EST. Thanks tyme4t.
1. The Impressionists in Poland: this three part series will be shown several times in Poland on the VIASAT History channel from 23 December. TV Schedule here. Thanks to Sylwia.
2. Hobbit filming at the Pelorus bridge in New Zealand has been halted due to poor weather, reports The Nelson Mail.
3. One year from today The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released in cinemas. Warner Bros have issued a press release today with a synopsis of the film: follow this link.
1. Thanks to arclarkpig for sharing her latest drawing of Thorin Oakenshield which is on the Artwork page.
2. Four more jigsaws have been added today to the Jigsaws page. The newest jigsaws are at the bottom of the page.
3. There’s a new poll on the left-hand side asking if you’ve ever met up with other people as a result of following Richard’s career. Previous poll results are here.
The Hobbit trailer was shown at the BNAT movie festival this weekend organised by Harry Knowles of Aintitcool.com: report here. According to reports on twitter the trailer was shown three times back to back but those who saw the trailer have been forbidden from revealing any details. Elijah Wood and Eric Vespe (from the Hobbit set reports, see 1st Dec below) attended BNAT to deliver the trailer.
Elijah Wood has said that he believes The Hobbit trailer will be shown before Tintin when it is released in the US. Tintin is already showing at cinemas here in the UK, so the trailer is rumoured to be shown before the second Sherlock Holmes film.
1. Best Movie, an Italian movie magazine, has an article about The Hobbit with large pictures of Richard as Thorin in their December issue. There is no mention of Richard in the text though. Scans courtesy of Mamma_T.
2. Thanks to Gratiana for her wallpaper of Guy of Gisborne which is now on the Guy wallpapers page.
1. Here’s another scan from Grendel’s Mum and Jade, from the Macbeth tour of Japan in 2000. Perhaps that is Richard on the left? Click to enlarge.
Here’s another image from the same production with thanks to orpheus11. This one definitely looks like Richard:
2. Screencaps of Richard in two BBC dramas, Casualty and Doctors, are now in the gallery. Richard appeared in one episode of Casualty in 2001 and two episodes of Doctors in the same year. All screencaps are gratefully received from the admin of the Richard Armitage Acemarsupial site, which is no longer online.
Update: if you cannot see the new galleries, its because your computer has retained the gallery page in its cache and you need to reload the page. Press Ctrl-F5 when viewing the gallery (Cmd-F5 on a Mac) to empty the cache and reload correctly.
1. I’ve added a RichardArmitageNet 2012 calendar to the site, which you can find under the Artwork menu on the left or here. This calendar is for personal use only – print off yourself as required.
2. Thanks to Joane for her latest drawing of John Porter, which is now on the Artwork page.
1. Added a new career page for the National Geographic Wild documentary Leopards of Dead Tree Island, including a clip from the programme.
2. Captain America: The First Avenger will be shown on Sky Box Office and Sky 3D in the UK from Monday 19 December on multiple showings throughout the day.
3. I’ve added some TV magazine scans to the Robin Hood Reviews page reporting on the first week of Robin Hood series 2, which aired in the UK in October 2007. The scans are from Total TV Guide, Inside Soap, TV Choice and TV Quick. The last 3 magazines are also on the Interviews page as they contain specific interviews with Richard. With many thanks to Smitkit for sharing these scans.
4. Four more jigsaws have been added to the Jigsaws page (newest jigsaws at the end).
1. Strike Back: Project Dawn in Germany: the second series of Strike Back starts on Friday 9 December at 21:55 on the Fox channel. Richard appears in the first episode of this series. Thanks to Bee.
2. Thanks to ItsJSforme for her Thorin Oakenshield wallpaper, which you can find here (click to enlarge).
3. In 2000, Richard travelled with the RSC to Japan playing the role of Angus in Macbeth, a production directed by Gregory Doran and staring Antony Sher. Grendel’s Mum has passed me a brochure from this production, courtesy of her friend Jade – many thanks to them for sharing this with us. Click the scans below to enlarge.
For further info, Antony Sher wrote this article in The Guardian about the tour.
At the bottom of image 2 it says “the play was first performed in February 1999 at the Swan Theatre, Stratford upon Avon. The Tokyo performance was at Tokyo Globe Theatre from March 24 (Fri) to April 8 (Sat) 2000.”
Translation for image 4:
Richard Armitage (Angus)
Trained at LAMDA
Theatre: Hamlet, The Four Alice Bakers (Birmingham Repertory Theatre), The Long and the Short and the Tall, The Real Thing, The Woolgatherer (Edinburgh Festival)
Film: Star Wars Episode 1/The Phantom Menace, This Year’s Love, Cleopatra
Filming of The Hobbit is still on location in the South Island of New Zealand, with very few details about the scenes they are shooting. There’s a report in the Otago Daily Times, a new blog from Sir Ian McKellen (29 Nov) and as mentioned below, Eric Vespe’s latest (#5) set report is on Aintitcool.com.
1. The Captain America: The First Avenger DVD is released in Australia on December 1, 2011. Links to JB Hi Fi and EzyDVD. Thanks to Pauline.
The DVD is released in the UK on December 5, follow the Amazon links above to order and raise commission for charity from Amazon. There are two UK links above, under the pic of the day – the RAnet Amazon store and the Amazon logo which will take you straight to Amazon containing the RAnet code. Thank you!
2. Strike Back series 1 in Russia: the first series will be shown on Sunday 4 December at 12.00pm on СТС channel. The programme information describes series 1 despite showing a picture from series 2. Thanks to GizGunslinger.
3. Thanks again to GizGunslinger for her drawing of Richard as Richard III which is now on the Artwork page.
4. A Moscow publisher “Moskovskiy Komsomolets” (MK) has started producing booklets for popular European classical literature which have been filmed or televised as part of a series called “Great cinema novels”. North and South featured in today’s issue, consisting of a 23 page booklet with the DVD. There is a brief biography of Elizabeth Gaskell, a short interview with the person who translated the book in May 2011 and a description of the BBC TV production. There is very little information about Daniela Denby-Ashe, much of it is concerned with ‘Richard Crispin Armitage’ as he is referred to in the booklet. There are several quotes from his interviews.
With thanks to GizGunslinger for the scans and this translation:
Richard is mentioned on p12 – 15. It is said that the episode where Thornton is saying “Look back at me” is one of the key moments in John and Margaret’s relations and that Richard remembers it with trepidation. Also that this role was very significant for him not only because it was his first main role but also because he liked the book even before he read the script. There is a quote from his interview where he is talking about how he got this role. After that he absorbed much about the age: learning about the cotton industry, reading books about XIX century, about traditions and manners and he visited some museums. In another quote he’s saying that it’s really unusual period drama because the style of shooting and acting are quite modern but at the same time this film is historically accurate.
Scan 2: Performer of the main male role actor Richard Armitage.
Scan 3: Frame from the film: Margaret at the cotton mill.
Scan 5: Actress Daniela Denby-Ashe.
1. Another Hobbit set report today from Eric Vespe of Aintitcool.com: ‘Thorin’s Dilemma’. There are details of an intense scene between Thorin and Gandalf, but no pictures of Richard as Thorin unfortunately – although in one picture of the dwarves on horses, that might be him emerging from behind a rock…(on second thoughts, I think it’s Kili/Aidan Turner).
2. Elijah Wood has said that he believes The Hobbit trailer will be shown before Tintin when it is released in the US. Tintin is already showing at cinemas here in the UK, so the trailer is rumoured to be shown before the second Sherlock Holmes film.
Two new galleries have been added to the Promotional Pics & Photoshoots gallery today: the 2008 Promo gallery and the Recognise magazine gallery.
1. There are three news reports today about Hobbit filming with some descriptions of scenes that were filmed at Beorn’s house, a purpose built set in Paradise, near Glenorchy and Queenstown.
2. Another Hobbit set report is up on AintItCool.com with spoilers about scenes they have been filming with the dwarfs, Gandalf, Bilbo and Radagast. Apparently we will enjoy the next report which is due very soon.
3. Three of the four videos shown in the iPad only Project magazine have been uploaded to Vimeo by Dan Stoddart who was responsible for the sound on each clip. Each video is listed on the left-hand side of the Vimeo window. Project magazine is an iPad only magazine and these videos were not broadcast anywhere else. The full Project magazine photoshoot is in the gallery, which contains stills from all four videos on page 1 of the gallery.
1. Thanks to DarkJackal for sharing her fantastic drawing of Thorin Oakenshield, which is now on the Artwork page. Click the picture to enlarge.
2. Some new wallpapers added to the site with thanks to Tanni.
There are more wallpapers on her website.
1. There are articles about The Hobbit in two french magazines with plenty of pictures and these are now on The Hobbit career page. Where there are quotes about Richard I have provided a translation. Many thanks to Fred for the Studio Ciné magazine scans and Joane for the L’écran Fantastique scans.
2. As mentioned below on 16th November, Black Friday deals are available on Amazon.co.uk this week. This link to Amazon UK shows all the deals available and contains the RichardArmitageNet code to earn referral fees payable by Amazon.
The french movie magazine Studio Ciné Live has 12 pages dedicated to The Hobbit in the latest issue. Scans of the article will be on this site tomorrow. In the meantime, you can see a small version of the magazine online. The Hobbit article starts with a double page picture of Thorin on page 50. Click the red ‘Feuilleter ce magazine’ button to see the pages. Thanks to Fred.
I’ve added an original Radio Times article to the Robin Hood Reviews page, which had a picture of Robin Hood and Guy of Gisborne on the cover to celebrate the start of the series on Saturday 7 October 2006. Each picture can be enlarged and the cover will increase to quite a large size as this is the only version of this picture of Richard that I have. If you have any old articles or interviews that are not on this site and are willing to share, please email me (Ali) at
1. Spooks series 9 in Belgium: digital channel 8 will start showing series 9 on Thursday 24 November at 20:45. Thanks to Anne.
2. WhatCulture.com have listed Richard as their #3 choice to play Doctor Who in the forthcoming film, which will be directed by Harry Potter director David Yates. What do you think of the list? We asked if you thought Richard should be Doctor Who in a previous poll and most of you voted ‘no’. Vote in the poll on the left-hand side to see if you agree with the choices made. Thank you.
1. Amazon UK are promoting Black Friday deals, which means that between 21 and 25 November you can save money on your Christmas shopping. This link to Amazon UK contains the RichardArmitageNet code so that purchases you make after clicking that link will earn referral fees, which are paid by Amazon to this site and will be donated to charity. Amazon Associate FAQs are found here.
2. Robin Hood series 1 episode 1 screencap gallery has been recreated for more pictures and better quality. Other episodes from the series will be recreated soon.
Andy Serkis, aka Gollum in The Hobbit and also Second Unit Director, has told IGN.com that a Hobbit trailer will be shown “fairly soon, actually. Around Christmas time, I believe.”
Ian McKellen has updated his Hobbit blog after almost six months. After recounting some memories from his acting career he mentions the following about filming The Hobbit: “Musings during a long wait today, which has been a respite from a lot of fighting in Middle-earth. In The Hobbit, Gandalf is part old duffer but more he’s a soldier. Peter Jackson, who likes to see the old guys fighting it out, reminded me the other day that Gandalf is a commander, a general. Having slain the Great Goblin I was being a bit too indulgent with the dwarves who meanwhile had mislaid Bilbo in the goblin tunnels. I’ve played enough soldiers to see that PJ was right and in the next take I was very stern.”
1. Latest reports from the NZ press suggest that location shoots for The Hobbit are taking place near Dunedin, Otago and also at Tataka Hill, Tasman near the Golden Bay.
2. Strike Back Project Dawn in Israel: the second series of Strike Back will be shown on Tuesday 15th November at 10.00pm on the Yes Action channel. Thanks to Naama.
3. An advertisement for the french version of the North and South DVD has appeared in a free newspaper in UGC cinemas. Click the image below to enlarge. Thanks to Joane for the scan.
MI-5/Spooks series 7-10 in New Mexico: KNME-TV (PBS) will begin showing series 7 this Saturday 12th November at 9.00pm on channel 5.1. It will be repeated on Sundays and Mondays and also shown on Tuesdays at 10pm on channel 9.1. Thanks to Karen for this information.
1. The Discovery channel documentary HMS Ark Royal, which Richard narrated and was broadcast in February of this year, is now available on DVD from Amazon UK. Here is a direct link to Amazon including the code for this website to ensure that commission will earned for charity, or you can order via the RichardArmitagetNet Amazon UK store.
2. Thanks to Joane for her latest drawing of Richard, which is now on the Artwork page.
Two new wallpapers using pictures from the Recognise magazine photoshoot are now on the Richard wallpapers page, wiith thanks to Rossella.
There is a new video blog from Peter Jackson on his facebook page. The blog describes the 3D technology they are using and there are lots of quick glimpses of actors and scenes from the film. Screencaps of Richard as Thorin are in the Hobbit gallery.
The french version of the North and South DVD is already #1 in the best seller list on the distributor’s website Koba Films. Click the N&S image at the top for more details and a video extract.
Joane was pleased to discover a half page advert in a free Parisian newspaper ’20 minutes’ today and has provided the scan below (click to enlarge). She tells me that the image quality is the same in all copies of the newspaper.
||Translation:A love affair in the same vein as “Pride and Prejudice”Discover in video the romantic master-piece of Elizabeth Gaskell. A wonderful love story in Victorian England between the young Margaret Hale and the dark John Thornton. A new successful work by BBC after the huge success of “Pride and Prejudice”.
1. Three new pictures of Richard from the Recognise magazine photoshoot (still no news on this magazine by the way) are on this website in an article about photo post production. Scroll down or click the thumbnail below to view:
There are two more pictures on the website that completed the post production: The Hut in the Forest. Click ‘show thumbnails’ to see two more pictures.
Update: click these pictures below for larger versions, courtesy of Bccmee.
Also on the Hut in the Forest’s facebook page (you do not need to be a member of Facebook to see these pictures). The 2nd and last images are the correct way around here. Also below:
2. North and South French DVD: this DVD is released today in France as reported previously on 13 July. Amazon France have reduced the original price to 19.98 Euros. Thanks to mondeencouleurs.
Following the news on 27th October that Eric Vespe will be reporting from the Hobbit set, his first report is now up. Spoiler warning: there is some detail and pictures about scenes that were filmed in Hobbiton (Matamata). There is no Richard in this report – Eric describes scenes with Elijah Wood as Frodo.
Series 1 of George Gently, including the first episode with Richard as Ricky Deeming, will be released on Blu-ray on 17 January 2012, that’s three episodes in 1080i widescreen format. More details.
1. The Hobbit premiere will be held in November 2012 in Wellington, New Zealand. Reports with video on Stuff.co.nz and TVNZ.
2. Robin Hood and Macbeth downloads in France: episodes of Robin Hood and Macbeth from the Shakespeare Re-Told series can be rented for 30 days via a download player ‘CANALPLAY’. This link shows all the Richard Armitage programmes that are available. Two episodes of Robin Hood costs 2.99 Euros. Once downloaded, you have 30 days to watch the episodes. After watching once, you can watch again as many times as you’d like during 48 hours. The CANALPLAY player is free and must be downloaded first (PC only). Thanks to Joane.
3. Spooks season 9 on BBC Canada: this season is being reshown on Thursday evenings at 7pm ET on BBC Canada. Episode 1 was shown last night. Thanks to Calexora.
4. Richard on TV in Hungary: TV listings here show that The Impressionists will be shown on 6th November at 9.00pm on the Viasat History channel, and on the same day Robin Hood series 3 will be on RTL Klub at 12.40pm. Thanks to Zsuzsanna.
Update: The Impressionists is also showing in Poland on Viasat History during the same times as above. TV listings here. Thanks to Sylwia.
1. Captain America DVD Extras: details of the extras are at the bottom of this detailed review of the movie on TheHDRoom.com. Richard appears briefly (about 10 – 15 seconds) in the third featurette about the technology used in the film, showing him filming scenes in the submarine. He is also praised in the audio commentary. Thanks to Shirlz1123 on twitter for this info.
2. Eric Vespe of Aintitcool.com has announced that he will be reporting from the set of The Hobbit on a regular basis: “I am currently in New Zealand on the set of The Hobbit and I will be reporting biweekly from the set. I’m embedded with the crew as they run around the North and South Islands of New Zealand for the next two months on their location shoot and will be bringing you guys reports as we go along.” In the comments that follow the article he states that a video blog from Peter Jackson may be imminent (click the comment by Quint dated Oct 27, 2011 5:44:48am). Eric is also on twitter: @EricVespe.
1. Stylist magazine, 26 Oct 2011, has an interesting article about the end of Spooks, with a summary of the fate of 9 major characters including Lucas. Thanks to Kaprekar for the scan which is on the Spooks Reviews page, along with an online article from the Telegraph, one of the better articles analysing the end of the series.
Thanks to Karin for pointing out that the online version of the Stylist magazine article has a link to another article about handsome men in period dramas. You can vote for John Thornton if you wish.
2. Richard is on UK television tonight in Miss Marie Lloyd on BBC4 and narrating Leopards of Dead Tree Island on the National Geographic Wild channel. See menu on left-hand side for UK TV listings.
3. New poll on the left-hand side asking if you will buy the Captain America DVD, which was released in the US on 25 October and will be released in the UK on 5 December. Thanks for voting. Previous poll results are here.
1. Added more pictures to the Project magazine photoshoot gallery with thanks to the Russian RA site.
2. Strike Back series 1 in the UK: Sky are repeating the first series featuring John Porter, which will be shown on Sundays at 9pm and Wednesdays at 11.00pm.
3. Filming of The Hobbit has gone on location to Matamata’s Hobbiton film set and also to Queenstown, as reported in the NZ press.
4. Captain America: The First Avenger DVD has been released today in the US. If you order this DVD, please click the Amazon links on this site to earn commission for charity.
5. More jigsaws have been added today to the Jigsaw page.
1. Robin Hood in New York/Ontario: season 1 is being shown on Thursday nights at 10pm ET on WPBS and WNPI. Next Thursday will be episode 6. Thanks to Calexora.
2. Warner Bros are planning to release a video game of The Hobbit next year before the film is released. It is not yet clear if this is a tie-in with the movie or if it will be a Lego version. More details on Filmomic.com.
3. Leopards of Dead Tree Island, narrated by Richard, will be shown again in the US on Sunday 30 October at 22:00 on the Nat Geo Wild channel (change settings under ‘local listings for’ to see your region). Thanks to Charlotte for this info. It will be shown in the UK on Wednesday 26 October at 20:00 and 23:00 on the Nat Geo Wild channel and also on Sunday 30 October at 21:00.
1. There is a Hobbit article in the latest issue of the french movie magazine Studio Ciné Live, which has some pictures of Richard and the dwarves. Click the thumbnails below to see the scans in full size.
The article mentions the length of filming and the cost, the location of the studios in Wellington and quotes from Peter that we have heard in the video blogs that he has posted on facebook so far. On the left hand side of the main article they list the ‘Three new actors arriving in Middle-earth’
- Martin Freeman the British actor, who will have the main role of Bilbo. Mostly known for his funny roles in sitcoms.
- Richard Armitage, an Englishman, that we could see in “Captain America” and who is famous in British television, will be Thorin the chief of dwarves.
- Evangeline Lilly, the star of “Lost” will be an Elf. Her character of Tauriel does not exist in Tolkien’s novel.
Many thanks to Joane for the translation and the scans.
2. The Telegraph has named its Top 10 Moments in Spooks, with the Lucas North/John Bateman twist coming in at number 2.
Spooks series 8 in Hungary: this series starts on Wednesday 19th October at 22:40 on the Story4 channel. Link with video and TV schedule. Thanks to Karima.
Strike Back series 1 in South Korea: series 1 will be on Channel Screen in South Korea on 27th October at 22:00. Thanks to @kkaeldotcom on twitter.
Miss Marie Lloyd: Queen of the Music Hall will be repeated on BBC4 on Wednesday 26 October at 10.00pm. Richard played Percy Courtenay in this drama first shown in 2007 as part of BBC4′s Edwardian season.
Some new artwork added to the site, with thanks to Linda and Lady Prisca for their drawings of Richard and Guy of Gisborne respectively. Click the images to enlarge. There is a comments box at the bottom of the Artwork page if you’d like to leave feedback. Thanks!
Miss Marple: Ordeal by Innocence will be shown on Saturday 22 October at 5.55pm in the UK on ITV3. Richard played Philip Durrant in this one off drama first broadcast in 2007.
1. Ultimate Force series 2 which included Richard as Captain Ian Macalwain, is available to watch free and online via the IMDB episode list page if you are a US resident. This is not available in the UK but click the link to see if it’s available in your country. Here’s a screencap from the US page to show you what it looks like when the videos are available. Thanks to Bccmee.
2. The Anglophenia blog on BBC America has a page on Richard Armitage in a feature called ‘Men of BBC America: how they are conquering Hollywood’.
1. Thanks to a quick email from Arfan, it appears that North and South was shown on BBC Entertainment in Israel and some European countries this evening, starting at 18:10. Check the TV Schedule (choose region first) for showings of North and South in your area – it is being shown at different times in various different countries.
2. Pauline has left a comment on this site regarding the latest on the publication of Recognise magazine. ‘Issue 9 is completed and we are simply waiting for new publishers to complete a takeover and subscriptions etc. will run as promised.’ To read Pauline’s comment in full, click the ‘Write Comment’ link on the home page of this site above the news. An interview and photoshoot with Richard is due to appear in the next issue of Recognise magazine – see news 2nd September below for preview pictures.
ComingSoon.net have announced that The Hobbit movie merchanise will be produced by The Bridge Direct Inc. Thanks to Ana Cris on the C19 forum.
“Warner Bros. Consumer Products is pleased to announce today that it has awarded the worldwide master toy and game licensing rights for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again to The Bridge Direct, Inc., the global children’s consumer products company. The Bridge will develop an exciting array of products inspired by the two films being directed by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson—who previously brought Middle-earth to life with the award-winning blockbuster The Lord of the Rings trilogy—including action figures, playsets, and role play accessories, which are expected to debut at retail in fall 2012 prior to the December 14 release of the first film, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.” Read more…
1. Richard has appeared on the cover of an Italian puzzle magazine, which has the largest circulation of its type in Italy. There aren’t any clues in the puzzle about Richard, but his picture appears nevertheless! Thanks to Mamma_T for the scan – click to enlarge.
2. Thanks to Adelbert for her drawing of Richard which is now on the Artwork page.
3. Thanks to Smitkit for pointing out this fact: five years ago today Guy of Gisborne first strolled on to our screens on BBC1. An event which brought a lot of my friends together and therefore the reason that this site exists. Link to RH episode 1 screencap gallery.
1. The picture of the day archive for September 2011 has been added to the Multimedia menu on the left-hand side, or click here to download all the individual pictures.
2. Richard dressed as Thorin appears on the front cover of the Mexican movie magazine CinePREMIERE this month. Thanks to Ana Cris.
Update 8th October: WarnerBros have requested that the images are removed as there are logo issues with the pictures on the CinePREMIERE site.
3. Spooks 8 in PBS Houston: MI5 season 8 will be re-shown on Thursday 6 October at 9.00pm on PBS Houston, Texas. Thanks to Patricia.
4. The documentary for the National Geographic Wild channel that Richard narrated, Leopards of Dead Tree Island, will be shown in the UK on Wednesday 26 October at 8.00pm and 11.00pm. There is a clip of the documentary here but with a warning that animal lovers will find it difficult to watch!
5. More jigsaws have been added today to the Jigsaw page.
6. Strike Back in Portugal: a new cable-only channel which started today called TVSeries is showing Strike Back series 2 at 22:10 tonight. The TV Schedule states series 1, but all the adverts have shown series 2. Robin Hood series 1 will be shown on this channel tomorrow. Thanks to Xanoquita.
Peter Jackson was interviewed by New Zealand Prime Minister John Key earlier today on NZ station RadioLive and an eight minute extract is on this RadioLive site. Peter Jackson says they are on day 94 or 95 of a 250 day shoot, filming with about 30 goblins, dwarves and the hobbit today. Yesterday he says “we spent all day in the middle of a storm we had dwarves walking up a rocky path on the side of a cliff… today we show up and we have flames and fire and goblins…”. He also says they will be filming until the middle of next year. Thanks to vikszabo74 on twitter.
1. Homes from Hell narrated by Richard, is starting on GEM in Australia at 7.30pm tonight. Thanks to Mezz.
2. Robin Hood on BBC Entertainment: check the TV schedule for broadcasts of Robin Hood if you receive this channel as series 3 is currently being shown in many countries on Fridays and other days throughout the week. Click ‘change country’ at the top of the window to view your TV schedule. Thanks to Sylwia.
3. Spooks on BBC Canada: the advertising hasn’t been clear which series will be shown, but Spooks is scheduled for 7pm Eastern time/4pm Pacific time on Thursdays. We think it may be series 9. Thanks to Audrey.
4. As you may have noticed from the logos under the pic of the day this website is now an Amazon Associate, which means that if you purchase anything from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com this site will earn referral fees, which will be donated to one of Richard’s four Just Giving charities listed above. Further details are on the RA on DVD page.
5. Cinemax have uploaded the first 2 episodes of Strike Back: Project Dawn to youtube. You need to sign in using a Google account to see the complete episodes. Thanks to Miriam for the email. Links to Episode 1 and Episode 2.
1. The Captain America DVD is now available to pre-order from Amazon UK for £12.97. It’s released on 5 December 2011. The region 1 copy is available from Amazon.com on 25 October 2011. All other links and prices to Blu-ray versions are on the RA on DVD page. Thanks to Vicki for the update.
2. Spooks series 8 on BBC Entertainment: series 8 starts on Saturday 1 October at 21.50 in Norway, Sweden and Denmark on the BBC Entertainment channel, with episodes 1 and 2 showing on that date. Here is the Norwegian TV schedule. Click ‘change country’ at the top of the window to check the schedule in your region. Thanks to MillyMe.
1. In an interview with Peter Firth and Nicola Walker by Radio 4 Extra, Nicola describes watching Richard come to terms with the change in Lucas North’s character (4 mins in). This clip can only be heard in the UK, so here’s the bit about Richard. The full interview is now available on youtube thanks to richliga: part 1 and part 2.
2. Thanks to Julia for an excellent drawing of Lucas North, now on the Artwork page.
Lost Land of the Tiger on DVD: this DVD was released in a boxset with two other documentaries from the same team on 29 August 2011. It costs £15.99 from Amazon UK. All other links and prices are on the RA on DVD page. Thanks to LadyCassia for this information.
Captain America DVD release dates: in the US it will be available from Amazon.com on 25 October 2011 at a cost of $17.99 ($24.99 for Blu-ray). Amazon UK haven’t confirmed the price yet, but the release date is currently 5 December 2011.
Update 25 Sept – DVD release in Germany: on Amazon.de, the DVD release date is 19 December 2011 at a cost of €20.97 and the Blu-ray version for €26.97. Thanks to Barbara and Linda60 for this information.
All Richard Armitage DVD links and prices are on the RA on DVD page.
Lara Pulver was on ITV1′s This Morning programme today and she once again mentioned receiving an email and advice from Richard Armitage prior to filming Spooks series 10 (see news 16 September below for more). The clip is here on youtube.
1. Clips from the two episodes of Fraud Squad, which Richard narrated for ITV, are on the Fraud Squad page.
2. Spooks series 10 will start on Sunday 18 September at 9pm on BBC1 and BBC1 HD. The last episode of series 9 was shown on BBC1 HD so this the first time the whole series will be in high definition. Although Richard is not in this series, there is mention of Lucas North in episode 1 – see news 23 August below. There are spoilers in this BBC press release.
3. A reminder that BBC Canada are showing Spooks series 9 today (Thursday evening) at 7.00pm (EST). Check your local TV schedule, as it’s showing at 4.00pm in British Columbia on Thursdays.
4. On 30 August in France, a documentary called Secrets d’histoire about Claude Monet was shown on channel France2. This documentary showed quite a few clips of Richard as Claude Monet from The Impressionists. French residents can still watch the episode on this site – it may be possible to view from other countries but it doesn’t work for me in the UK. Thanks to Lady Prisca, Joane and Laure.
The documentary Leopards of Dead Tree Island, that Richard has narrated, will broadcast during October in the UK (see news 2nd Sept below). National Geographic UK on twitter have confirmed it will be shown on the National Geographic Wild channel, but the exact date is still to be confirmed.
1. New addition to the Sparkhouse page – quotes from Richard made in 2002 from the Sparkhouse BBC press release. “…there is a simplicity to John; he doesn’t always understand all the nuances of what is going on around him. In some ways he is like an old man on the outside, but there is a real naivety about him…”
2. Tonight at 19:30, E! Latino in Argentina will show a Behind the Scenes of Captain America half hour programme with clips and interviews. No information on whether Richard appears I’m afraid. Thanks to Beth.
1. On 2nd October last year, a guestbook entry was left on this site from an actor who worked on Captain America: The First Avenger during scenes filmed in Liverpool. The rest of his comments are now available to read on the Captain America page, not previously printed due to contractual agreements. I have proof of his role on the movie and that his report is genuine.
2. Strike Back series 1 in Norway: episodes 3 and 4 of series 1 will be shown on Tuesday 6 September on NRK3 at 21.30 and the last two on Tuesday 13 September on the same channel at the same time. Thanks to MillyMe.
3. Spooks series 10 will start week of 17-23 September according to the BBC Press Office, no exact date or time yet. Although Richard is not in this series, there is mention of Lucas North in episode 1 – see news 23 August below.
1. Recognise magazine have posted a few pictures from their photoshoot with Richard on Facebook, which will appear with an interview in their August issue – out soon, no exact date given yet. The photoshoot took place on 14th June, see June news archive, 23 and 24 June for more info. The image is also below, click to enlarge.
2. Richard has narrated a documentary called Leopards of Dead Tree Island for National Geographic and there’s a clip on their website. Warning: animal lovers may find this very sad! It was shown in the US on 25 August, but I’ve no information yet on when it will be shown again or in other countries. Thanks to Kaprekar for all the info.
3. BBC Canada showed the first episode of Spooks series 9 last night at 7.00pm (EST) but there was no advertising it seems, so episode 2 will be on next Thursday at the same time. I’m told there is quite a bit of editing by BBC Canada, e.g. Ros’s funeral was cut at the start of last night’s episode. Thanks to Calexora and Susmita for the emails. Update: this was not available in British Columbia although we do not know why!
4. Details of the Captain America DVD extras have been announced here.
The latest Naxos Audiobooks blog post by Nicolas Soames mentions Richard’s role in Captain America, and there’s a nice quote about work he has done for the company in the past (Richard has read 3 Georgette Heyer abridged novels for Naxos): “we know him as a man who quietly, and generally on a Saturday, slopes in to read a Georgette Heyer and entertain thousands of his followers around the world.” Thanks to Annette from RAOnline.
1. A brilliant pencil and pen drawing of John Porter by GiztheGunslinger has been added to the Artwork page.
2. The Radio 4 play Clarissa broadcast March 2010, in which Richard played Robert Lovelace, is no longer available from the BBC but the download is now available on the Clarissa page. Scroll down the page until you reach the ‘Clips’ section.
Strike Back series 1 in Norway: series 1 is being repeated on NRK3 in Norway tonight at 21:30. Thanks to MillyMe.
Robin Hood in Russia: Robin Hood will be shown by the Russian channel TV3 starting with series 1 from Tuesday 30 August at 15:00 Monday-Friday. Thanks to Nadia.
1. David Stephenson of the Sunday Express has reviewed Strike Back series 2, with a few paragraphs discussing Richard’s career. “Armitage has now moved to films in the form of The Hobbit but we look forward to him appearing in a spy drama again on TV. He is strangely more believable and effective than the real thing.” Read it on the Strike Back reviews page. Thanks to Smitkit for the scan.
Previous interviews with Richard by David Stephenson are on the Interviews page: scroll to 19 September 2010 and 2 May 2010.
2. Cultbox have listed the five characters they feel have made the biggest contribution to the success of Spooks. Of Lucas North: “His final confrontation with Harry Pearce on a rooftop was one of the most memorable series finales in the show’s history.” Spooks series 10 will air on BBC1 next month.
1. Strike Back on DVD: Amazon UK and Play.com are releasing series 1 and 2 on a 5 disk DVD set, available 14 November 2011. Links: Bluray at Play.com – DVD at Play.com – Bluray at Amazon.co.uk – DVD at Amazon.co.uk
Each series is also available to buy separately. Series 2 DVD will also be released on 14 November. Thanks to Mamma_T for the email.
2. As mentioned on 18 August, Richard narrated a documentary called Fraud Squad on ITV1 last night. It’s now available to view on ITV Player. Clips from last night’s programme will appear on this site in a couple of days.
3. The Captain America DVD is available for pre-order from Amazon.com, but not yet from Amazon UK, but there is no availability date yet. The DVD is also available in Bluray and 3D versions. Thanks to Squidknox and Redliverpool for the emails.
1. Richard has sent a new message today which you can read on RichardArmitageOnline.
2. Richard Armitage on Hungarian TV: Spooks series 7 episode 1 on Sunday 28 August at 22:15 on STORY4, The Impressionists on Monday 5 September at 22:00 on History Viasat, and The Golden Hour on Tuesday 6 September at 23:30 on RTL Klub. Thanks to Zsuzsann. TV listings here.
1. Strike Back series 2 episode 1 images of Richard as John Porter have been added to the Strike Back gallery. These images are high definition: click ‘original image’ in the bottom right corner when viewing each picture to see the full size.
2. Spooks 7 in Hungary: the 7th series of Spooks started in Hungary today at 9.40pm on the Story4 channel. Thanks to Karima, who has clarified that despite this link saying series 6 episode 11, they actually mean series 7 episode 1.
1. Some clippings from the Saturday and Sunday Mirror magazines with pictures of Richard as John Porter from Strike Back are on the Strike Back reviews page. Thanks to Smitkit. Three UK reviews of Strike Back episode 1 are also linked on that page.
2. Some new artwork added to the site today:
3. The freelance journalist Ian Wylie told me via twitter earlier today that there is a brief mention of Lucas North in the first episode of Spooks series 10, which returns to BBC1 sometime in September. He also confirmed that Sophia Myles’s character Beth gets a mention – Beth does not appear in Spooks series 10.
1. The Guardian have written an article about TV hardmen and stated that Richard Armitage is the best thing about Strike Back series 2…although of course he’s not in it much this series!
2. Thank you for all the birthday messages which have been coming in thick and fast today. The comments box will be closed at approx. 6.00pm GMT today and messages will be forwarded to Richard.
1. The birthday message page will remain open for messages until approximately 6.00pm GMT on Monday 22 August, if you wish to leave Richard a birthday message and haven’t done so yet. Thank you for all the wonderful messages left so far.
2. Strike Back: Project Dawn episode 1 will be on Sky1 and Sky1 HD tonight in the UK at 9.00pm. Sky1 Strike Back page.
Richard is narrating a new two part documentary for ITV1 on Friday 26 August at 9.00pm called Fraud Squad. It follows an investigation led by police detectives hoping to recover £20million stolen from victims of one of Britain’s biggest share frauds. Details on Locate TV.
1. North and South has been voted the 2nd most popular British TV drama of all time by visitors to the BBC America Anglophenia site. North and South was edited heavily when shown on BBC America in 2005, so hopefully this will persuade them to show it again uncut.
2. Strike Back series 2 in the TV magazines: articles about the new series have appeared in many UK magazines, with brief mentions of Richard Armitage/John Porter and very few pictures of him. There are two scans on the Strike Back reviews page – the article inside TV Guide magazine (thanks to Jen for the scan) is one of the longer articles in all of the TV magazines, mentioning John Porter briefly but with no additional picture, however the cover of TV & Satellite week magazine shows Richard alongside the new stars of the series.
3. Richard has recorded a new advert for Sky Sports. You can watch it on the 2011 Adverts page.
1. Scan of Hobbit feature in Total Film magazine September 2011 (click to enlarge):
2. The print edition of The Scotsman interview with Richard Armitage has been rescanned for better quality – see news 26 July below or Interviews page.
3. I’m adding jigsaws to the Jigsaw page all the time so please keep checking for more.
1. Thanks to Joane for another excellent drawing of Richard which is now on the Artwork page.
2. The first series of Strike Back is showing again on Sky2 tonight at 10pm, continuing on Tuesday and Wednesday. The second series starts on Sunday 21st at 9pm on Sky1 and Sky1 HD. Check TV listings on the left-hand side of this page.
1. US residents can watch Strike Back: Project Dawn online from the Cinemax site – further details on Bccmee’s blog and the Strike Back facebook page.
2. Richard has reached the quarterfinals of the BBC America Anglophenia poll. You can vote here.
3. Birthday messages to Richard can be left on the Birthday Message page, which will be open until 22 August for you to leave a message if you wish.
Strike Back: Project Dawn will be shown in the US tonight at 10.00pm on Cinemax and in Canada at the same time on HBO Canada – check your TV listings for regional times. Here in the UK we have to wait until 21 August so no spoilers please!
Sky1 publicity have given this website three extra large images of Richard as John Porter to promote the new series. These are numbers 4-6 in the Strike Back 2 Promo gallery – press F5 to refresh your screen if you cannot see the new pictures and click ‘original image’ to see the images in their full size.
Strike Back has received mixed reviews in the US media (some spoilers throughout these reviews): the LA Times gives it a positive review (although the reference to Pride & Prejudice is a little bizarre), the Boston Herald is not too flattering and describes Richard’s role as a ‘tense cameo’ and Popmatters gives it an average review stating “Despite some obvious faults, Strike Back is a decent enough action yarn with slick production values.”
1. In a BBC press release today, it was announced that the production company Kudos will no longer make any more series of Spooks after series 10 airs on the BBC this autumn. Many media sites have reported on this, but The Telegraph shows a picture of Richard as Lucas North and states: “Kudos promise an explosive finale, full of trademark twists, turns and double-crosses. Faces from the past might even return – Keeley Hawes, Richard Armitage and Matthew Macfadyen’s characters, for example, are still out there alive somewhere.” Note that appears to be contradicted by Richard in his interview with Project magazine. Ian Wylie has written an interesting blog piece about the end of Spooks, with audio from Nicola Walker and the BBC press release in full at the end.
2. As mentioned on 7th August below, the first 6 minutes of Strike Back series 2 are online but not available outside the US. Bccmee has uploaded the clip to youtube and it’s also available in HD if you change the pixel setting under the video window.
3. In Manhattan, New York, there is an interactive billboard showing clips from Strike Back 2 and information relating to the show, but Bccmee tells me there is no John Porter at all. There’s a related video on youtube, uploaded by BLToutreach.
1. Strike Back series 2 will be shown in Norway on Monday 12 September at 8.00pm on Canal+. Link to Canal+ Strike Back page.
2. Two new pictures added to the BAFTA 2009 gallery. Pictures 24 and 25 are new.
3. Robin Hood in France: series 2 and series 3 are being shown on the France 4 channel this month. Click here for details. Thanks to Joane.
4. A picture of Richard at the NYC screening of Captain America has appeared in two different French online newspapers: leParisien.fr and Le Point.fr Thanks to Joane. This picture is also here in the gallery. Captain America is released on 17th August in France.
Three new Strike Back promos overnight, one from HBO Canada which Bccmee has uploaded to youtube. There are lots of different clips from the series but the same glimpse of Richard Armitage that we’ve seen before:
The second video is from Cinemax and has clips of John Porter that we haven’t seen yet. It’s on Bccmee’s blog with a transcript and closed captioning.
The Strike Back facebook page has uploaded the first 6 minutes of the series, but it’s not available to view outside the US. The clips of John Porter are exactly the same as the second video mentioned above, followed by clips already seen before of Scott and Stonebridge.
Strike Back series 2 Project Dawn will be shown on Cinemax and HBO Canada on August 12th at 10.00pm and Sky1 and Sky1 HD in the UK on August 21st at 10.00pm.
1. Round 2 of the BBC America Anglophenia vote is here.
2. Added some outtakes and a deleted scene to The Impressionists page. Thanks to Bccmee for finding the first clip.
3. The BAFTA 2009 gallery has been updated with new and larger images (click ‘original image’ to see the full size). Pictures 6-10, 15, 16, 18, 22, 23, 26, 28 and 29 are new to the gallery. Number 17 isn’t new but is now much larger – thanks to Bccmee for this pic. Press F5 to refresh the screen if you cannot see the new pictures.
Cinemax have released a clip from the first episode of Strike Back 2. There are no spoilers in this clip. For those outside the US, you can watch the video on Bccmee’s blog.
Screencaps here, click to enlarge:
Strike Back series 2 will return to Sky1 and Sky1 HD on Sunday 21 August at 10pm, as reported by the Sky Media site. It will be shown on Cinemax in the US and HBO Canada on Friday 12 August.
1. The Birthday Message page will be open until 22 August for you to leave a message if you wish.
2. There is a new jigsaws page on the site which you can find under the Multimedia menu or click here. Thanks to Sinjoor for the idea.
1. The BBC America blog Anglophenia are currently running a poll which puts Matthew Macfadyen and Richard Armitage up against each other for a bit of fun. You can vote here.
2. A second trailer for Strike Back: Project Dawn has appeared on Sky TV in the UK. Watch it on the Strike Back 2 page.
1. An early picture of Richard has appeared on a Star Wars autograph collecting site – click to view. Now added to the Miscellaneous gallery. This picture was received by the website owner in the year 2000.
2. Lots of wallpapers added to the site today, with thanks to Rossella and Teena:
1. Some of you have already seen Captain America: The First Avenger and it is released around the world in the next few weeks: International Release Schedule. Please rate the movie in the poll on the left-hand side. I’ll keep this poll up for a few weeks. Previous poll results are here.
2. More pictures from the New York screening of Captain America, which Richard attended on 20 July have appeared on the VISA Signature Facebook page. They’ve been added to the NYC Screening gallery – pictures 20-32 are new.
1. The UK Premiere of Captain America will be held in Liverpool at the Odeon cinema at 7pm tonight. This is a charity screening for the North West Cancer Research Fund, which was founded in Liverpool. Further details on the Liverpool Echo site. There is no confirmation that any of the cast or crew are attending.
2. Empire magazine are running a feature showing the dwarves from The Hobbit in make-up alongside the actors who play them, with a short character and actor history. This is the Richard/Thorin page, page 6 of 6, but you can view the other pages from that link.
3. Gallery updates as follows. The new pictures are all extra large, so press ‘original image’ to see the full size. You may need to refresh your screen if you’ve visited the galleries recently.
1. Gallery updates today as follows. If the galleries don’t display correctly, press F5 to refresh your screen (Ctrl-F5 on a Mac).
2. Richard’s interview with the Scotsman which was published online yesterday, appeared in print on Saturday 23 July. Scans of the print edition are below with many thanks to Smithylass. Click to enlarge:
1. There is a detailed interview with Richard in The Scotsman online today. This article appeared in the magazine supplement of the print edition of The Scotsman, 23rd July. The interview covers a number of issues relating to the acting profession, including the level of detail involved in researching characters and why he is drawn to anti-heroes. And now…”I’m kind of indulging myself at the moment, doing loads of research, finding stuff that isn’t necessarily relevant, but it’s a luxury. This question people ask actors – ‘are you resting?’. It’s such a weird expression. I don’t think an actor can ever rest.”
Screenshots of the interview have been saved to the Interviews page and also below (click to enlarge and click again to read):
2. Today’s picture of the day was sourced by Jonia and has been added to the Lorraine interview 17 Sept 2010 gallery.
1. An official photograph of all 13 dwarves together has been posted on The Hobbit Movie facebook page, showing Thorin/Richard in the centre of the image. This has been added to the Hobbit Stills gallery. If image #13 doesn’t appear at first, refresh your screen. Press ‘original image’ in the bottom right corner to see the full size, or click the image below:
2. Richard is interviewed in the Daily Telegraph today, due to his role in Captain America but the interview discusses other roles he has played in the past. He says: “I want to be strong enough to cope with the roles, but I don’t want to be cast as the guy that takes his shirt off. I’m looking forward to getting fat and old so I don’t have to lift weights.”
Online article here or scan below (click to enlarge):
1. Peter Jackson has published a third production video of The Hobbit on his Facebook page and it’s the best yet in terms of humour and action behind the scenes from the film. You do not need to be a member of Facebook to see the video. Richard Armitage appears a few times both in and out of dwarf costume, and it seems that Peter is currently in the UK filming at Pinewood Studios – a clue at the end of the video as to why he’s there. Screencaps from the video are in the Third Production Video gallery.
To see Richard-only parts of the video, with a transcription and closed captioning, go to Bccmee’s blog.
2. Richard was in New York last night at another screening of Captain America: The First Avenger at the AMC Lowes Lincoln Square theatre, with Hayley Atwell and Neal McDonough. The event was promoted by Visa Signature. Pictures are here in the NYC Screening gallery.
3. Update: There is a review of Strike Back 2 by On the Box, which on Thurs 21st included a huge spoiler about John Porter but today (Friday 22nd) it has been removed. Review of Strike Back 2
4. Heather and DiL have written a report after their red carpet experience at the Captain America Premiere on 19 July. Read it here. A gallery of Heather’s pictures are here. Thanks ladies!
1. Richard attended last night’s premiere of the movie at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, CA and two video interviews have been made available on the Marvel.com site (Richard appears at 2.46) and on the AP Live site (click the first clip under ‘Previous clips’, Richard’s interview appears at 3.52).
I’ve captured just the extracts of Richard which you can view or download here:
- Marvel Interview – poor audio in places. Alternatively, watch on youtube below (thanks Bccmee). Karyn has provided a transcript which you can download here (updated 12.00pm UK time).
- Bccmee has good quality screencaps of the AP interview on her blog.
- HeathRA, who has contributed graphics & videos to this site, met Richard at the premiere yesterday in Los Angeles and will be sharing photographs with us all. Here’s a starter (click to enlarge):
- More pictures from the Premiere in the gallery with thanks to Cesta.
- Richard spoke to What’s On TV while at the premiere: “I play king of the dwarves, so it’s the first time I get to be smaller than other people,” the 6ft 2in tall actor joked.
2. The Hobbit Movie facebook page has made high resolution images of the dwarves available – all except Balin and Dwalin which I’m sure they will get hold of soon. Thorin is also available in extra large high res without any logos adorning the image. These pictures are now in the Hobbit Stills gallery. Note the old gallery format is back, but with some improvements. The new gallery didn’t display all the thumbnail images to make it easy to select a picture, nor were images loading properly on occasion, so it has been abandoned in favour of the old format once more.
3. Another small image I hadn’t noticed before on the iPad only Project magazine – the contents page makes reference to the fact that Richard is modelling winter coats:
4. The Sky1 main page introduces Strike Back series 2, with the focus solely on Richard Armitage. Apart from the picture on the main page, there are 4 more images when you click the link showing a battered and bruised Porter. No date yet when this is showing on Sky in the UK, but it is showing on HBO Canada and Cinemax in the US on August 12.
1. Liverpool is to host the charity film premiere of Captain America: The First Avenger on Wednesday 27th July and the Liverpool Echo has offered the chance to win VIP tickets to the event. Liverpool and Manchester provided the backdrop to several scenes in the film, including scenes with Richard Armitage playing Heinz Kruger – photos of him on location are toward the end of the Captain America page. Thanks to Bee for the email.
2. There is now a 2011 birthday page on this site for you to leave 40th birthday messages to Richard if you so wish. This page will be open until the 22nd August and on that date messages will be passed to Richard’s agent. Click Birthday Tribute page on the main menu on the left, or click here. Thanks!
3. Thanks to Angelfish69 and Bccmee for these two wonderful Thorin Oakenshield wallpapers. Click the images to enlarge and save to your desktop.
4. A reminder from yesterday’s news that the Captain America premiere is in Hollywood tonight at 7pm local time, and Richard is rumoured to be attending. Watch live streaming via livestream.com or marvel.com.
5. Reelz channel in the US will be showing a behind the scenes promo on Saturday 23rd at 9.30am and 7.30pm called Captain America: Behind The Shield, which will include cast interviews and clips of the movie. Thanks to Lisa.
1. Miss Marple: Ordeal by Innocence will be shown on Saturday 30th July at 5.55pm on ITV3 and ITV3 HD in the UK. Richard plays Philip Durrant in this episode, also starring Geraldine McEwan, Alison Steadman and Denis Lawson.
2. Richard is listed as one of the attendees of the premiere of Captain America: The First Avenger in Hollywood, CA tomorrow night at 7pm here and here. While this is unconfirmed, his name was not on the Reuters site a few days ago.
Live streaming sites: livestream.com and marvel.com.
Vote on Richard’s look as Thorin in the poll on the left-hand side. Previous poll results are here.
Theonering.net have posted a picture of Richard as Thorin Oakenshield on their site. Here he is:
As a young Dwarf prince, Thorin witnessed the destruction and terror wrought when a great fire-breathing Dragon attacked the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor. After slaughtering many of Thorin’s kin, the great serpent, Smaug, entered The Lonely Mountain and took possession of its vast store of gold and jewels. No-one came to the aid of the surviving Dwarves, and thus, a once proud and noble race was forced into exile. Through long years of hardship, Thorin grew to be a strong and fearless fighter and revered leader. In his heart a fierce desire grew; a desire to reclaim his homeland and destroy the beast that had brought such misery upon his people. So when fate offers him an unusual ally, he seizes the chance for revenge.
Wallpapers of Thorin on his own and Thorin and the dwarves are available on Theonering.net’s site. There are links to multiple sizes just above the first picture of the rest of the dwarves. Here’s one of the wallpapers:
These images have been added to the Hobbit Stills gallery.
1. Richard has been interviewed for his role as Heinz Kruger in Captain America: The First Avenger, which has been uploaded on to the Trailer Addict site. He describes his character’s role in the movie and his motivation. Screencaps from the interview are in the CA Interview gallery. The video has been closed captioned with a transcript on Bccmee’s blog.
2. New wallpapers: Many thanks to Angelfish69, Heathra and Bccmee for the following:
3. Theonering.net’s Hobbit in 5 video, a roundup of the week’s Hobbit news, includes a character study of Thorin Oakenshield and an abridged summary of Richard’s career to date.
4. There are a few seconds of Richard as Heinz Kruger in this behind the scenes clip of the Captain America shoot. Richard appears at 1.52. Thanks to Calexora for finding this. Click the image below to enlarge.
5. This advert appeared in the cinema I happened to be in this morning. It’s for the LG Optimus 3D smartphone and is on youtube:
6. Joane has submitted an excellent pencil drawing of today’s picture of the day, which has been added to the Artwork page.
7. More pictures have been added to the Project magazine gallery, including the Contents page which I’m afraid I forgot to add before, sorry!
1. Issue 8 of Project Magazine has an interview with Richard in which he talks about Captain America and being cast in The Hobbit, as well as photos from a new photoshoot. Project Magazine is an iPad only magazine and can be ordered here. The UK issue costs £1.99. Since the magazine is for iPad there are videos of Richard as well as pictures, which cannot be extracted since they are part of the magazine app. The last 4 images are snapshots taken from the video files.
Spoiler warning for his role in Captain America.
You can also read the interview by clicking on these images below:
2. A picture of Balin (Ken Stott) and Dwalin (Graham McTavish) have been posted on TIME online. Only Thorin (Richard Armitage) left to see now! This new picture has been added to the Hobbit Stills gallery as well as an extra large high res version of the Fili & Kili picture. Click ‘download original’ to see the full size.
3. Two new pictures have been added to the Hobbit Press Conference gallery – #2 and #15 – and 3 images have been replaced with larger versions – #5, 6 and 11.
1. Peter Jackson posted a picture of Bombur, Bofur and Bifur on his facebook page last night, played by Stephen Hunter, James Nesbitt and William Kircher respectively. With any luck we’ll have Balin and Dwalin today and Thorin on Friday!
This picture has now been added, with the other dwarf images so far, to the Hobbit Stills gallery. To see each image in its full size, click ‘download original’ under each image and click on the image again to zoom in.
2. Three more high resolution stills have been added to the Captain America Stills gallery – #5, 6 and 8. Click ‘download original’ under each image to see the full size. Thanks to Bccmee for finding these and check out this site for 200 high resolution images from the film.
3. Five more images added to the Spooks Promo gallery as follows: series7-14, series8-12, series8-19, series9-18, series9-19.
4. Strike Back in New Zealand: the Prime channel is showing Strike Back series 1, the first episode aired this evening (Thurs) and episode 2 will be shown next Thursday at 8.30pm. The Dominion Post has a detailed write-up about the series with a new image of Richard from the Hobbit Press Conference – warning there is a spoiler about the ending of Spooks series 9 if you haven’t seen it yet.
1. Three new pictures of Richard as Heinz Kruger from Captain America: The First Avenger have been released on ComicBookMovie.com. Click each picture to enlarge. Thanks to Izabelanna.
All high resolution stills of Heinz Kruger are now in the Captain America Stills gallery.
2. Amazon France is releasing a french version of North and South on 2nd November 2011 at a cost of EU 24.99, and here is the front cover (click to enlarge). Thanks to Joane for the email.
1. More wallpapers have been added to the site as a result of a recent competition held on the C19 forum. The Richard wallpapers page shows 3 new wallpapers from Heathra, 1 from myself, 2 from Grendel and 2 from Angelfish69. Click on the thumbnail images to enlarge to the full size (or the links underneath for Heathra’s wallpapers).
Lots of icons and signatures added to the site today, as follows:
A new drawing of Lucas North by Joane has been added to the Artwork page.
Many thanks to all the ladies for sharing their lovely artwork on this site.
2. The region 1 DVD of Spooks series 9 is released today for those living in the United States and Canada. The current price on Amazon US is $28.99.
3. Peter Jackson has posted a picture of Kili (Aidan Turner) and Fili (Dean O’Gorman) from The Hobbit on his Facebook page. We’ve now seen 7 of the dwarves – 6 to go.
The premiere of Captain America: The First Avenger will take place on July 19th in Los Angeles. Richard is not listed as one of the attendees. More details on the Reuters site.
1. Peter Jackson has posted a second production video on his Facebook page, stating that the first block of shooting has finished and most of the cast and crew are taking a break. There is a brief chat with some cast members, including Richard, about what they will be doing on their break and then an insight into what is involved when location scouting around New Zealand.
To see the video in full HD, click on this link.
Pictures of Richard are in the Second Production Video gallery.
This video on youtube is also available to watch in HD. Click on the button that says ’360p’ and change to ’720p’ for HD quality, then click on the ‘full screen’ button in the bottom-right corner.
2. Entertainment Weekly has released a second Cinemax trailer for Strike Back (previously there has been a Cinemax trailer and a Sky trailer for the US and UK broadcasts respectively). Richard Armitage does not make an appearance in this trailer I’m afraid.
3. I’ve uploaded a Robin Hood series 2 outtake that was posted on youtube when the series was first broadcast, but apparently the youtube video is not available outside the UK. It’s now on the Robin Hood series 2 publicity page (video #7).
1. The twitter competition to win a region 2 DVD of The Impressionists has now closed. Congratulations to the winner @MrsBrichloos.
2. Strike Back: Project Dawn will be shown on HBO Canada on August 12th as well as on the same date on the Cinemax in the United States. I cannot provide a link to HBO Canada as the site is blocked to non-Canadian residents it seems. Thanks to Susmita.
3. After yesterday’s picture of Nori, Ori and Dori, today The Hobbit movie’s Facebook page has released pictures of Oin and Gloin, cousins of Thorin Oakenshield. Wonder if this means pictures will be forthcoming on a daily basis and soon we’ll be looking at Thorin?
4. This week the Hobbit in 5 video report on the latest news for The Hobbit film mentions the interview with Richard in Total Film. See news #1 4th July for more information and a scan of the magazine interview.
1. A scan of the full interview with Richard in the August issue of Total Film magazine is now on the Interviews page and on The Hobbit page.
2. Thank you for the emails about the poetry readings which have appeared on youtube recently. The poems are from the A War Less Ordinary radio broadcast in November 2007 and the Words and Music radio broadcast in September 2010. Follow the links for full extracts and the youtube clips are at the end of each page.
3. A picture of three of the dwarves from The Hobbit, Nori, Ori and Dori, has been posted on The Hobbit movie’s Facebook page. No picture of Richard as Thorin yet, apart from the blurry pic in Empire and Entertainment Weekly (see The Hobbit page). This latest picture of the 3 dwarves has been added to the Hobbit Stills gallery.
1. Epix News has a short interview with Richard on the set of Captain America, which is part of the youtube video below. Thanks to Izabelanna on twitter for finding this.
Here’s some pictures (click to enlarge)
Bccmee has transcribed and closed captioned the video on her blog.
The pictures of Richard above have been added to the CA Trailer gallery.
2. The North and South Promo/behind the scenes gallery has been updated into the new gallery format and includes 3 new pictures scanned from the Classic Drama magazine (see yesterday’s news). The new pictures are #12, #17 and #29. Many of the pictures in this gallery are very large. Click ‘download original’ to see the full size.
1. BBC Entertainment in Europe and the Middle East will start showing Robin Hood series 3 on Saturdays at 7.10pm starting 23rd July. Thanks to Maya for the email.
2. Just added a scan of an old article from 2005 published in the Mail on Sunday’s You magazine on the Interviews page: ‘In a taxi with…Richard Armitage’.
3. New poll on the left-hand side asking how long you’ve been following Richard’s career, i.e. how long have you been a fan… but we hate the word fan ;) Previous poll results are here.
4. In 2007, BBC Worldwide produced a magazine called Classic Drama and parts 6 & 7 were dedicated to the BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell’s North and South. The complete series on DVD was included with the magazines. I’ve had an enquiry about this (on the RA on DVD page), so I’ve put details of how to order these back issues and some scans from the magazine on the North and South career page. UPDATE: I’m afraid the company only ships to the UK, Eire and via British Forces post (BFPO).
1. In his first interview for over six months, Richard is interviewed in the August issue of the UK magazine Total Film about working on The Hobbit. There is a short preview on their website and the full article will be out on Thursday 7th July when the magazine is for sale. A scan of the article will appear here, but in the meantime the preview is also on the Interviews page.
2. Between the Sheets is available to buy from Australian retailer JB HiFi for $28.99. Thanks to Julie for this info, who confirms that it does play in her region.
3. Robin Hood in France: series 2 starts on channel France 4 on Wednesday at 3.25pm.
4. There’s a summary of Strike Back 2 and also the first series in the Brazilian online magazine VEJA and also a poster for the second series (no mention of Richard). Here’s an English translation. Thanks to Ana Cris.
5. The picture of the day archive for June 2011 has been added to the Picture of the Day archive (under the Multimedia menu) on the left-hand side, or click here to download all the individual pictures.
6. A new series of Homes from Hell will be shown on Tuesday 12th July 9.00 – 10.00 on ITV1 and ITV1 HD, and it seems that Richard Armitage might be providing the voiceover. Locate TV has listed him as narrator.
7. Now that the site has reached 2000 followers on Twitter, I’ve launched a competition for one follower to win a brand new region 2 DVD of The Impressionists. Follow the timeline of @RAnetdotcom and reply to the tweet announcing the competition to enter. I tweeted about it once yesterday and today and will repeat the invitation to enter a few more times in the next few days until the closing date of Friday 8th July 12 noon (UK time). Thanks to all the 2000+ followers for sticking around!
Richard has recorded another voiceover for Sky Sports promoting their new ‘Sky Go’ feature. It’s a very brief voiceover at the end of the advert and is now on the 2011 Advertisements page. Thanks to Harryslass on twitter.
1. Just added a new wallpaper of Richard by Heathra to the Richard Armitage wallpapers page. There are 3 sizes, so click the size you’d like and right-click (Ctrl-click on a Mac) and choose ‘Set as Wallpaper/Desktop Background’ if you want to admire it further!
2. Thanks to Lady Prisca for her latest drawing of Guy of Gisborne, which is now on the Artwork page. It’s taken from series 2 episode 10 of Robin Hood.
3. A short statement about Richard, in the ‘Things we’ve learned’ banner, appeared on page 18 of the August issue of Empire, but I hadn’t noticed it until it was pointed out on the C19 forum. An odd but amusing quote (click to enlarge):
Empire magazine has a 7 page article describing a recent visit to the set of The Hobbit. Scans are below, click to enlarge:
1. Entertainment Weekly released the first images from The Hobbit this week (see news 23 June) and below are scans from the print edition of the magazine with comments from director Peter Jackson. He tells us that the paper Bilbo is holding is the contract between himself and the dwarves, the original Bag End is now a guesthouse and the dwarves are a ‘crazy ensemble’.
Many thanks to Bccmee for these scans. To view, click the images below then click again to zoom in further.
2. Two more fantastic drawings from Joane are on the Artwork page, one of John Thornton and one of Richard as himself. Thanks Joane!
3. More quality artwork on the site with many thanks to mybeckett as follows (click the thumbnail images to enlarge to full size):
4. A stuntman who worked on the first series of Strike Back has answered a few questions about filming the production on the Strike Back Facebook page. His latest question refers directly to working with Richard. Thanks for the link via twitter from Bccmee.
5. Empire magazine has released a couple of photos from their article about The Hobbit, one of which is another picture of Bilbo and the dwarves but slightly clearer than the Entertainment Weekly picture. The magazine is published tomorrow and I will post a scan on this site. The new image is below (click to enlarge) from the Hobbit Stills gallery.
6. Robin Hood series 1 in Italy: the Italia 1 channel is showing series 1 on Sundays at 4.55pm. This Sunday they are showing episode 3, which has been retitled ‘The Nightwatchman’. Thanks to LadyCassia for the information.
1. George Gently in Norway: the first episode of this series, co-starring Richard as Ricky Deeming is showing tonight on NRK1 at 23:20. Thanks to MillyMe.
2. The new Captain America trailer is now on the official movie site. Click ‘Video’ and then ‘Theatrical Trailer’ for the latest one. See news below 24 June for more links.
3. Bccmee completed her challenge to create a graphic every day in May, inspired by the picture of the day on this website. The rest of her creations are now listed below and all of them plus explanations of how they were created are on her blog. Thanks B!
4. A press release via this site suggests that Strike Back: Project Dawn will air in the US on Friday 12th August at 10.00pm (ET/PT) on Cinemax. Sky have not confirmed a UK release date yet.
5. Strike Back series 1 in New Zealand: series 1 will air on Thursday 7th July at 8.30pm on Prime. There is a good review in the Otago Daily Times, which describes the series as a “guilty pleasure”.
1. The UK film magazine Empire will run a feature on The Hobbit in the next issue out June 30th – more details here.
“Personally invited onto the set barely a month into production, Empire delightedly watched a film — two films — already in full swing. Thirteen cantankerous dwarves, one barely tolerant wizard, and a befuddled hobbit are seen arriving at the gates of Rivendell and sneered at by local elves. Jackson assures us he is once again reaching for the mighty spectacle of Lord Of The Rings, but also bringing a certain ‘Hobbity-ness’ all its own. “The tone is actually the part of it I’m enjoying the most,” he laughs, casting a fond eye upon his rabble of exotic dwarves, clattering about set like they own the place. “They have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle-earth.”
2. Two Captain America images have been replaced in the Captain America Stills gallery: numbers 3 & 4 are now larger. To see the larger size, click ‘download original’ underneath each picture. Thanks to Bccmee for finding these.
3. Spooks (MI-5) series 8 today in France: episode 7 will be shown at 3.20pm today and episode 8 will be shown straight afterwards at 4.10pm on Canal+ Cinema. Thanks to Joane.
1. A new Captain America trailer has been released, and Bccmee has provided a transcription and closed captioned the video on her blog. You can also watch it in full HD from that link. There is a new brief clip of Richard as Heinz Kruger in the trailer. The screencaps have been added to the CA Trailer gallery (last 3 images courtesy of Bccmee).
2. New poll on the left-hand side. What do you think of the way Thorin looks? Previous poll results are here.
3. The new picture of Bilbo, Thorin and the dwarves plus close ups have been added to the Hobbit Stills gallery.
4. Recognise magazine has posted a behind the scenes picture on Facebook from their recent photoshoot of Richard Armitage (see news #2 yesterday for more info). The photo caption states there will be a full interview and photoshoot in the August issue. They posted a second picture on Facebook a few hours later.
5. The Biography has been updated with the latest news and new pictures.
1. The first pictures have emerged from the set of The Hobbit, showing Bilbo inside his home Bag End, with a number of dwarves in the background! That’s Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield sitting at the head of the table by the way.
Click the picture below to enlarge:
Three pictures have been released by Entertainment Weekly.
Here’s a close up (sorry I couldn’t resist). Izabelanna has lighted the shadows in the 2nd picture – we’ll do anything to get this picture a little clearer! Click the pictures to enlarge.
2. Richard was photographed for Recognise magazine on 14th June (the journalist posted on twitter), and the magazine has since confirmed that the article will appear in the next issue (issue #9) which is out in August. The photoshoot was also videoed and that will appear online shortly before the magazine is available.
Robin Hood on PBS Atlanta: series 1 is showing on Monday nights at 8pm on PBA 30 Atlanta, starting last Monday so episode 2 will be on Monday 27 June. Thanks to Renee.
The documentary 125 Years of Wimbledon is now available to UK residents on BBC iPlayer. I’ve put a couple of clips on this site which are also available to download, on the 125 Years of Wimbledon page.
George Gently tonight in Germany: ZDF Neo will show the episode of George Gently with Richard playing Ricky Deeming at 20:15 tonight. Thanks to Bee.
1. Richard will be narrating a documentary on BBC2 this Sunday at 8pm to commemorate 125 years of Wimbledon Tennis Championships. Here is the BBC2 programme information and it was also announced on the United Agents site (news item now withdrawn from the UA site).
2. Robin Hood series 3 in Australia: ABC1 are showing Robin Hood series 3, starting this Sunday at 5.40pm.
3. Extracts from the three Georgette Heyer audiobooks and The Lords of the North audiobook have been added to a new sounds page, which you can find under the multimedia page or here: Audiobook Extracts. These clips are also available for download on that page. With thanks to Stella for helping me choose the clips.
1. Richard on TV in Hungary: the first and second parts of North and South will be shown on the Story4 channel on Saturday 25th June at 6.00pm. Miss Marple: Ordeal by Innocence will be shown on the Story4 channel on Sunday 26th June at 1.50pm. Here’s a link with more details. Thanks to Zsuzsanna.
2. Lady Prisca has submitted two more excellent pencil drawings, one of Richard as himself and one of Lucas North. There is a comments box at the bottom of the Artwork page if you’d like to leave feedback.
There have been some updates to some screencap galleries, all now in the new format. If you want to see the full size image (which is often larger), click ‘download original’ at the bottom of the screen. Details as follows:
1. Strike Back in Norway: Strike Back series 1 will be shown again in Norway on channel NRK starting Thursday 16 June at 11.25pm. The next 2 episodes will be shown the following two Thursdays at 11.15pm. Thanks to Bccmee.
2. MemorableTV.com have launched a competition to win a REGION 4 copy of the Spooks series 9 DVD. To enter follow this link.
1. Updates have been made to the 2004 Promo gallery and the 2006 Sunday Times gallery, with larger and better quality images. To view the full size of an image, click ‘download original’ at the bottom of the screen.
2. Two extra behind the scenes pictures from The Vicar of Dibley 2006 Christmas Special have been added to the VOD Promo gallery, namely numbers 19 and 20 with thanks to Anna. Many of these pictures are quite large and the full size can be seen if you click ‘download original’.
3. A new Captain America trailer will be shown this evening at the Hero Complex Film Festival in Hollywood, look out for footage of that soon. Also a new vintage-style poster has appeared to promote the movie (click image below to enlarge). No picture of Richard but his name is fairly prominent. Further details on MovieWeb.com
4. The photographer who took Richard’s picture for the interview in the Mail on Sunday 19 Sept 10, has posted another picture from that photoshoot on her facebook page. The picture has been added to the redesigned 2010 Promo gallery and also below (click to enlarge).
Ordeal by Innocence will be on TV in France on the TMC channel on Tuesday 14 June at 13:35. Thanks to Prisca
1. I’ve added a Radio 1 – 17 Sept 2010 gallery of photos to the Events and Appearances section to correspond with today’s picture of the day. With thanks to Cesta for sourcing the images.
2. Many thanks to Joane for her latest drawing of Guy of Gisborne which is now on the Artwork page.
3. Spooks 9 on PBS Seattle/Canada: KCTS9 will start showing Series 9 of Spooks/MI-5 on Saturday 2nd July at 10.00pm. Thanks to Audrey for the email.
4. Robin Hood 3 in Hungary: RTL Klub will be airing series 3 of Robin Hood at 3.40pm on Saturday 18th June. Thanks to Zsuzsanna.
5. A reminder to US residents that Spooks/MI-5 series 9 is available on Netflix’s Watch Instantly. In fact all 80 episodes of Spooks/MI-5 from the very first episode are available. The Spooks 9 DVD will be available in North America on 12 July.
6. ITV have been showing an advert promoting Sky TV frequently over the last few days, which includes a short clip of Richard in Strike Back. The advert is very long, so I’ve just captured the brief moment when Richard appears – and it is brief! To view the clip, click here or right-mouse-click the link (Ctrl-click on a Mac) to download. Thanks to Jane for letting me know when to get the recorder ready!
Click these thumbnails to for large screencaps of the clip.
Short trailers for Captain America have been shown on US television over the last few days, showing similar clips to the main trailer. The third TV spot however shows a very brief shot of Richard as Heinz Kruger being kicked by Steve Rogers (25 seconds in), which was filmed at the Albert Dock in Liverpool. Richard also appears two more times earlier on in the trailer, but these are clips already seen in the main trailer.
1. New stills from Captain America: The First Avenger have been posted on ComicBookMovie.com. Bccmee has found a larger version of one of the pictures of Richard as Heinz Kruger without the watermark. Click the pictures below to enlarge.
All high res stills from the film have been added to the Captain America Stills gallery – click ‘download image’ at the bottom to see its full size. I’m trialling this new style of gallery and may decide to implement throughout the screencap gallery soon.
2. The Robin Hood Promo gallery has been updated with some new additions and larger versions of existing pictures. To see the full size of each image, click ‘original image’ in the bottom-right corner. Click again to zoom further in some cases and press F5 to refresh the screen if images are not appearing correctly.
1. New poll on the left-hand side – there are 2 trailers for Strike Back, one for the UK and one for US, but please tell us your overall opinion of them. Links to trailers are on the Strike Back career page. Previous poll results are here.
2. The first series Strike Back is about to be repeated in Italy. The FX channel will show the first episode tomorrow at 9pm. More details and schedule times on the FXTV site. Thanks to Maga.
3. The Spooks series 9 DVD is available from today in Australia. The price from EzyDVD is $59.97 and from the ABC Shop it’s $59.99. It’s released in the US and Canada on 12 July. More information on the Spooks 9 career page.
Bidding on The Hobbit book, signed by the 13 cast members playing dwarves and Sir Ian McKellen, is open until 2 June 8.00pm NZ time. Apparently overseas residents CAN bid – if you want more information on this, read the answer to the question on the bid history page. Thanks to Marguerita for this info.
1. The Robin Hood series 1 career page has been recreated today with a full episode synopsis. It also includes a link to an interview with the costume designer, Frances Tempest, (above the episode synopsis) and an article that appeared in The Telegraph in 2006 in which the lead writer of Robin Hood, Dominic Minghella, reveals his on-set diary (scroll to the end of the career page). There is a very complimentary description of the time when Richard knocked on Dominic’s door to ask him some questions about Gisborne.
2. Thanks to Joane for her latest drawing of Richard as Harry Kennedy on the Artwork page.
3. The full titles of the two Hobbit films and the official release dates have been announced. Here’s a link to the official Hobbit blog. The first film will be called ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ released December 14, 2012 and the second film will be called ‘The Hobbit: There and Back Again’ released December 13, 2013.
1. Richard has written a message of thanks for the support of the Rise Up Christchurch campaign, and more on RichardArmitageOnline.
2. According to the Skymedia site, Strike Back 2 will air in August 2011 on Sky1 and Sky1 HD. 10 x 1 hour shows as expected and Richard’s name is prominent in this brief, although we still don’t know how much he will appear in this second series.
1. The Russian RA site has updated their gallery with a set of photos of Richard Armitage by photographer Joe McGorty, one of which accompanied the Sunday Times September 2010 interview. Thanks to Daria for the link.
2. Richard has recorded another advert, this time for Pilsner Urquell which has been uploaded by that company to youtube. Thanks to MissCachou for the link.
1. Added another wonderful drawing of John Thornton and Margaret Hale to the Artwork page with many thanks to Joyce M. Please leave a comment at the end of that page if you wish to give feedback.
2. There are 8 new pictures in the Vicar of Dibley Promo gallery with thanks to IzabelAnna. The last picture is a bit small but we cannot find a bigger version of it…yet! Most of these new pictures were found on this Hungarian site.
1. The Hobbit book signed by all 13 dwarves and Gandalf is now on sella.co.nz. According to their T&C you must be a resident of New Zealand or Australia to register on the site. Richard has signed ‘For Christchurch love Richard A’. Click pics to enlarge:
2. Some new pictures added to the Vicar of Dibley Promo gallery with thanks to IzabelAnna. Pics 3, 6, 9 and 10 are new and the last one was from the Comic Relief site as that’s a picture from behind the scenes of filming the 2007 Comic Relief Special with Dawn French, Richard Curtis, Sting and Trudie Styler.
3. There is now a HD version of the US Strike Back 2 trailer on the HBO site here. No more sightings of John Porter than we’ve already seen (pics below in news 16 May).
4. Unfortunately Venetia did not win an Audie Award last night (see yesterday’s news item #3). Winners here.
1. I now have a larger version of the picture of Lucas below, 1429px by 2048px. Click on the thumbnail in yesterday’s news to enlarge (or click on today’s pic of the day) and if it still opens the same size as yesterday, press F5 to refresh your screen.
Bccmee’s wallpaper created using the pic of the day today is on her blog.
2. The Spooks Promo gallery has been updated with some better quality images and some new images. Most images enlarge considerably – click ‘original image’ in the bottom right corner and in some cases you can click again to see the pictures in all their glory. Press F5 to refresh the screen if the images don’t appear correctly.
3. The abridged Venetia audiobook read by Richard Armitage has been nominated for an Audie award in the Audiobook Adaptation category and the winner will be announced by the Audio Publishers Association in tonight’s gala in New York. I’ll update the news with the result tomorrow.
4. Two changes to the Strike Back Promo gallery today – this picture is new to the gallery. Click ‘original image’ in the bottom right corner to see the full size. Press F5 to refresh the screen if the images don’t appear correctly.
1. The picture that appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on 17 May is now available in colour high quality. Click thumbnail to enlarge:
With thanks to RecycledVinyl on tumblr
2. Some more wonderful artwork added to the site today. A picture of Richard Armitage showing how it was created step-by-step and Guy of Gisborne, both by Shahin and drawings of Harry Kennedy and John Thornton by Joyce M. You can leave a comment at the bottom of the Artwork page if you would like to give feedback to any of the featured artists.
1. Some of the dwarves of The Hobbit, including Richard, recorded a funny sketch for the Rise Up Christchurch telethon which was shown in the last few hours. RichardArmitageCentral have put it on youtube – many thanks ladies. The dwarves appear at 4min 17s. After the dwarf sketch, Sir Ian shows a copy of The Hobbit book with signatures of the cast inside.
Click pictures to enlarge. Credit: Bccmee
2. Two more pencil drawings have been added to the Artwork page courtesy of Joane. Richard as Gisborne and John Porter. Thanks Joane!
More news about the Rise Up Christchurch telethon and Sir Ian McKellen’s involvement on the NZ News site:
“Sir Ian McKellen is making an appearance at Te Papa. He’s bringing with him a copy of Tolkien’s The Hobbit, signed by the film’s cast, which will be auctioned on sella.co.nz. Later in the day, Telethon viewers will get to see a unique glimpse behind the scenes of The Hobbit film with a specially-shot short film.”
More information about this event on the Rise Up Christchurch site.
1. A very good review of Spooks episode 8 in this week’s Herald Sun, with thanks to Ann for the scan. Episode 8 will be shown in Australia on Saturday 21 May at 8.30pm on ABC1.
2. Spooks has been nominated for Best Drama Series in the 2011 TV Choice awards. You can vote on the longlist until June 10th. The shortlist will be announced on Tuesday 28 June and the awards ceremony takes place in London on Tuesday 13 September.
1. Sky have a much higher quality version of the UK Strike Back 2 trailer here. Thanks to Bccmee for the link.
2. Two bloggers have set themselves a challenge to raise funds for the Rise Up Christchurch global telethon. You can help them meet their challenge at the RAFrenzy.com blog and the Me+Richard blog where you will find further details.
3. Robin Hood on PBS Buffalo: Robin Hood season 1 is being shown on WNED on Saturdays at 7pm and Mondays at 3pm. Details here. Thanks to Cranberry.
1. Strike Back in Germany: Strike Back episode 1 will be shown on RTL Crime tomorrow at 8.15pm – 9.00pm. Episode 2, which concludes the first storyline will be shown next Wednesday 25 May at the same time. Thanks to NicK for the email.
2. There’s a review of Spooks episode 8 in the Sydney Morning Herald TV guide this week, now on the Spooks Reviews page, with a new picture of Lucas and Maya taken during a scene in episode 8. The angle of that picture doesn’t come from the episode, so maybe it was taken by a set photographer? Thanks to Pauline for the scan.
1. The longer Strike Back trailer available on the Cinemax site has been closed captioned by Bccmee and she’s provided a transcript on her blog. The trailer shown before last night’s Game of Thrones in the US was the same trailer as this longer one I’m told.
Cinemax have released the longer trailer on youtube, which is slightly better quality than the one posted previously:
Here’s some pictures from the video, click to enlarge. More pictures of Richard from the UK Strike Back 2 trailer are in the news below 9 May, where different shots of Richard were seen.
2. Here’s a promotional picture for Strike Back series 1, taken by photographer Mitch Jenkins. Click the thumbnail below to enlarge.
3. The UK Strike Back 2 trailer is now on the Sky Strike Back website. Thanks to Anna for noticing this! The UK trailer is shorter and shows different clips than the US Strike Back 2 trailer, which you can see in the youtube clip above.
I’ve updated the screencaps below in the news 9th May, as the video is better quality.
The UK Sky trailer is also on youtube thanks to Sky:
1. According to this article on stuff.co.nz “stars of the Hobbit” will be involved in a charity telethon on Sunday 22 May to help raise funds for rebuilding Christchurch after the earthquake in February. This event will be broadcast online around the world. For details, see the Rise Up Christchurch site.
2. More wonderful drawings from Joane on the Artwork page of Richard as John Thornton and Claude Monet. Thanks Joane!
3. There’s a new poll on the left-hand side asking about twitter. Previous poll results are here.
4. Thanks to Anna for discovering this tweet, which appears to suggest that Strike Back 2 will air in August. However this is obviously not an official announcement and it’s not clear if this refers to a US broadcast or a UK broadcast too.
5. Strike Back news: Sean McNulty, executive producer for Cinemax has tweeted to say that the promotional trailer for Strike Back: Project Dawn will be shown tonight before Game of Thrones. Also a longer trailer can be seen on the Cinemax site, but apparently only those living in the US can see this video (youtube clip above in news 16 May).
1. Lady Prisca has created a wonderful pencil drawing of Guy from series 2 episode 8 (“Get Carter”). Click the thumbnail to enlarge on the Artwork page.
2. Bccmee is halfway through her challenge to create a graphic every day in May, inspired by the picture of the day on this website. Her creations are on her blog, and also on this site. Here’s a list and where to find them (well done B!):
1. Thanks to Ann for the latest scan in the Herald Sun newspaper reviewing episode 7 of Spooks, which will be shown this Saturday in Australia at 8.30pm on ABC1. Read it on the Spooks Reviews page.
2. Further details (without plot spoilers) have been added to the news on 10th May below, about the recent Strike Back filming in South Africa.
1. All episodes of Strike Back series 1 will be shown in South Korea this Sunday from 2.00pm – 8.00pm on the movie cable “Super Action” channel. Thanks to Jin for leaving a message in the guestbook.
2. Thanks to Lady Prisca for her excellent pencil drawing of Guy of Gisborne which has been added to the Artwork page.
3. Music from Strike Back has been posted on the SoundCloud music sharing site by the TV & film composer Simon Ashdown. There are three tracks which appear to be for the second series – the title of each track begins with ‘HBO’, the company co-producing the second series. Thanks to RavenRoseBeetle for discovering this.
1. A transcript and closed captioning of the new Strike Back 2 trailer is now available on Bccmee’s blog.
2. Ian McKellen has posted his latest blog about The Hobbit, in which he announces lots of cast news plus the fact that Martin Freeman has begun working on Sherlock, but… “The rest of the cast remains on duty for another few weeks, working on hobbit-less sections of the film. These involve dwarves of course…”
Sky Atlantic showed a clip of Strike Back: Project Dawn this evening, the second series of Strike Back, with some brief glimpses of Richard Armitage. I recorded the clip but Sky have since made a youtube clip available which is better quality (see news 16 May above). Click the thumbnails below to see screencaps of Richard.
Hayley Atwell is interviewed in July’s SFX magazine about Captain America: The First Avenger, and there is a brief mention of Richard when she is asked about injuries she sustained: “I had a bullet-shell fired off near my head, when I stepped too close to Richard Armitage’s gun”. Read the full article on the Captain America page. With thanks to Kaprekar for the scan.
1. Sorry for being late with this, but I have just posted two more reviews of Spooks episode 6 which was shown this evening in Australia. With thanks to Ann for the scan of the Green Guide and Bccmee for the link dated 6 May.
2. More artwork added to the site with many thanks to Joane and Joyce. Joane has drawn Gisborne, Harry Kennedy and Lucas and Joyce has drawn another picture of John Thornton. Thanks for sharing ladies!
Spooks series 9 episode 6 will be shown in Australia this Saturday and Pauline has given us 2 scans from the TV Week Guide and the Sydney Morning Herald TV Supplement with positive reviews of the episode. Read them on the Spooks reviews page.
The Impressionists in Poland: the first episode of The Impressionsts will be shown tomorrow at 11.00pm on the Viasat History channel. Thanks to Ania for the email.
Three more excellent portraits of Richard Armitage/Guy of Gisborne added to the Artwork page today, with thanks to Joyce M.
Spooks (MI-5) series 9 starts on Detroit Public TV tonight at 10.00pm, here’s the TV schedule. With thanks to Jenny.
Three more pencil drawings added to the Artwork page with thanks to Joane, who says she has only been drawing for 3 weeks! Excellent work Joane.
1. DVDs to buy in Australia: Spooks series 9 will be available from EzyDVD on 1st June, you can pre-order it now. It is not yet available from the ABC shop. A reminder that Strike Back will be available to buy on DVD in Australia on 5 May 2011. You can preorder it from the ABC shop or from EzyDVD for just under $30. Thanks to Michele.
2. Amazon.com has the complete region 1 Robin Hood series for $41.99 today only, which is their deal of the day. Thanks to Lynn.
1. In the news 12th April below, the London Evening Standard stated that Karen David had recently been filming Strike Back 2 “with Richard Armitage”, although there is now confirmation in this interview that she filmed her scenes with Sullivan Stapleton, one of the new leads in the series. The Strike Back news is a long way down that interview, just above the picture of Karen wearing a large yellow belt. Thank you to Anna for the link.
2. The first episode of The Impressionists will be shown in Hungary on Viasat History channel at 11.00pm. Other show times are further down the page. Thanks to Zsuzanna.
3. Joane has created another excellent pencil drawing, this time showing Guy of Gisborne, and it is now on the Artwork page.
4. Some fantastic artwork has been added to the site, courtesy of Teena, using the recent Strike Back Viral pictures mentioned in the news below on 16th April. Each picture has been photoshopped and enlarged and is now on display on the John Porter wallpapers page and she has made two May calendars here for your desktop.
North and South is now available to buy from iTunes in the UK. All 4 episodes costs £5.99, in case you want to put it on your smartphone. Amazon UK are selling the DVD for £3.49.
An excellent new Guy of Gisborne wallpaper has been added to the Gisborne wallpapers page, with many thanks to Karima.
1. Joane has emailed another fantastic drawing of Richard, which is now on the Artwork page including a link to her deviantart gallery.
2. There’s another update from Peter Jackson on his facebook page, confirming that Sir Ian Holm will be appearing in The Hobbit and that it was Martin Freeman’s voice at the end of the 10 minute Hobbit video.
1. 2Entertain have confirmed there are no plans to release of Robin Hood series 2 and 3 on to Blu-ray DVD format unfortunately, despite series 1 being available on Blu-ray. Thanks to Annette for finding out.
2. The Spooks Promo gallery has been updated as follows:
Some of these pictures are larger if you click ‘original image’ in the bottom right corner.
1. There’s a good review of Spooks series 9 episode 4 in the Australian TV Week guide, which will broadcast on ABC1 at 8.30pm this Saturday. Read it on the Spooks Reviews page. Thanks to Pauline for the scan.
2. Clips from the special episode of Robin Hood shown during the 2007 BBC Children in Need charity event are now on the Robin Hood series 2 downloads page (#6).
1. Some more artwork added to the site courtesy of Alejandra: a pencil drawing of Richard Armitage and Thorin Oakenshield and another showing Guy of Gisborne on the Artwork page. She has also created a Richard Armitage wallpaper.
2. I’ve come across an article from November 2004 about North and South, including quotes from Richard by Ian Wylie writing for the Manchester Evening News. Read it on the Interviews page.
1. Three promotional shots from the Strike Back Viral (watch here on Vimeo) have been discovered by the Russian RA site on photographer David Clerihew’s site. I’ve added these shots to the SBViral gallery, or click the thumbnails below:
2. The Robin Hood series 2 downloads page has been recreated today with better clips and links to three new galleries:
1. Bccmee has posted a transcript and close-captioned the video of the Powhiri ceremony part of Peter Jackson’s pre-production Hobbit video. You can find it on her blog.
2. I’ve now spotted Richard practising fight moves in the Hobbit video posted yesterday, so these have now been added to the Hobbit Pre-Production Video Gallery, plus a few extra shots during Martin Freeman, Andy Serkis & Peter Jackson’s speeches.
1. Peter Jackson has uploaded his first video from the set of The Hobbit on his facebook page – note this link goes direct to the Comments page where the video is available in HD, rather than PJ’s Facebook home page.
The 10 minute video includes a walk around the sets, the wardrobe department, a cast meeting inside the Bag End set and the Powhiri ceremony on the first day of shooting. It seems that the rumour was correct that Richard Armitage led the ceremony and spoke Maori (see news 30 March) as clips from this event are shown, including speeches from Richard, Martin Freeman, Andy Serkis and Peter Jackson to the cast and crew.
2. On 6th April (see below) we were told that Netflix had made episodes from Spooks (MI-5) series 9 available online, they are grouped together in the generic “MI-5″ title. All 80 episodes are there. Thanks to Alicia for this info.
1. A review of Spooks series 9 episode 3 from Australia’s Herald Sun newspaper is now on the Spooks Reviews page, with thanks to Ann for the scan. This episode will air on Saturday 16 April, 8.30pm on ABC1.
2. There is a new poll question on the left-hand side relating to The Hobbit and how long you think we will have to wait before we see Richard and the other dwarves in full costume. Previous poll results are here.
The London Evening Standard has an interview with Karen David of the BBC’s Waterloo Road drama, who says she has recently been filming “a guest episode of Strike Back with Richard Armitage”. In another article in The People dated 13 March, it appears that Strike Back filming took place “last week” i.e. early March. There is no official confirmation stating that Richard has already filmed episodes of Strike Back series 2, but we do know that shooting on The Hobbit began 21 March.
Peter Jackson has updated his Facebook page from the set of The Hobbit: “Hi everyone. Watch this space… My first video post from the set of THE HOBBIT will be landing here soon!”
1. If any Australians missed Spooks series 9 on TV on Saturday or just wish to watch it again, episodes 1 and 2 are available online via ABC1′s iView. Thanks to Bccmee for this info.
2. Spooks (MI-5) series 9 in South Florida on PBS: Spooks series 9 starts tonight at 11.00pm on Channel 2 (WPBT2) in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-W. Palm Beach area. The following Sunday, the episode will air at 11.30pm. The episodes will be repeated on Thursdays at 10.30pm. Thank you to Bibiana for the email.
Thanks to Joane for the scan of her excellent drawing of Richard which I’ve added here on the Artwork page.
1. For US Netflix subscribers: Spooks (MI:5) volume 9 is now available to watch online (click screencap below for listing). Netflix have made an error with the listing as it describes a Doctor Who episode, however all 8 episodes are listed as Spooks episodes. With thanks to Emma for this information.
2. ManderFFA has created a brilliant pencil drawing of Richard at the Hood Academy. It’s here on the Artwork page and there is a link to more of her artwork on DeviantArt.com.
1. As mentioned in the news on 29th March, MI-5 volume 9 (Spooks series 9) DVD will be released by Amazon US on July 12, 2011. BBC Canada are also releasing the series 9 DVD on the same date. You can pre-order the DVD from both of those links. Thanks to Susmita and Christina for the emails.
2. Spooks series 9 on PBS North Carolina: Mi-5 series 9 is airing on UNC TV starting tonight and airing each Monday at 3.00am and 10.00pm. Thanks to Kitty.
3. The main page of the screencap gallery has been redesigned, and now includes galleries for The Hobbit, Captain America and Cleopatra which have been added recently. If you cannot see the new design, press F5 to refresh the screen.
4. Thanks for all your comments about the new screencap gallery. I’ve been asked to post the old gallery design as a wallpaper and you can now find this on the Richard Armitage wallpapers page.
Spooks series 9 starts in Australia today at 8.30pm on ABC1. Three reviews from the Australian press are on the Spooks Reviews page. Here is the ABC1 Spooks programme information or watch a promo here.
1. Captain America: The First Avenger, in which Richard plays Heinz Kruger, has been nominated for the ‘Must see movie of the summer’ category in the UK’s National Movie Awards. Voting closes on Monday 18th April and the award ceremony will be broadcast from London on ITV1 on Wednesday 11th May. Thanks to Gisela for the email.
2. Two fantastic pencil drawings have been added to the Artwork page with thanks to Darkangel66a. One drawing of Richard Armitage and one of Lucas North. If you’d like to leave a comment about any of our artwork there is a comments box at the bottom of the Artwork page.
1. I’ve added 5 brilliant pieces of artwork to the Artwork page courtesy of 1_618. Three pictures of Lucas North (two showing the work in progress) and portraits of John Thornton and John Porter.
2. In Sir Ian McKellen’s latest blog from the set of The Hobbit shoot, he says: “I’m very sorry to have missed, the other sunny day, the first mass emergence from their trailers and make-up chairs, of not only our 13 heroic dwarves but also their 13 small-scale doubles — shorter, near-identical versions of the principals. Looking at the designs, they are nothing like garden furniture (those are gnomes NOT dwarves). Everyone who saw the first parade of two Thoren Oakenshields plus 24 assorted dwarves was mightily impressed!”
1. Two more Australian articles about Spooks series 9 have been posted on the Spooks reviews page: The Sydney Morning Herald’s review 28 March (thanks to Pauline) and the Herald Sun review 30 March (thanks to Ann). The latter review is definitely more favourable than the former!
2. Frozen, originally released in 2006, will be shown on BBC1 and BBC1 HD tonight, or rather in the very early hours of Thursday morning at a quarter past midnight. For a synopsis and other online links about this film, see the Frozen career page. The screencap gallery is here. There is a clip from the DVD Extras on the Frozen downloads page.
3. Prior to the start of filming The Hobbit, we learnt from Robert Kazinsky’s twitter feed and the King under the Mountain site that the cast attended a Powhiri, a traditional Maori welcoming ceremony. A unconfirmed source has stated on RAFrenzy’s blog that Richard led the cast in this ceremony and spoke some Maori in reply. Note – although unsure at the time posting, it now appears this report is factual and proof can be seen in Peter Jackson’s video of 14 April 2010 (see above).
1. A positive review of Spooks has been posted on the Spooks reviews page, from an Australian TV guide… “this British spy drama isn’t showing any signs of age – in fact, it’s picking up the pace rather than taking it easy.” Thanks to Pauline for the scan. Spooks series 9 starts in Australia on Saturday 2nd April at 8.30pm on ABC1 and here is a promo video on the ABC site.
2. MI-5 volume 9 (Spooks series 9) DVD will be released by Amazon US on July 12, 2011. You can pre-order it now from Amazon.com at a cost of $27.99.
The Robin Hood series 1 downloads page has been recreated today with better clips and a new gallery added for Richard’s BBC website interview (clip #3 on the downloads page).
New poll on the left-hand side asking what type of film genre would you like to see Richard appear in after he’s filmed The Hobbit. This list could have been twice as long and wasn’t easy to pick the genres, but I hope it’ll suffice and it’s just for fun! Thanks for voting. Previous poll results are here.
1. Bccmee has a high quality download of the Captain America trailer on her blog – download it here.
2. As reported on 13 January, Spooks series 7 and series 8 DVDs are now available in French and English language and with French subtitles. Series 7 details on Amazon France – Series 8 details on Amazon France. All previous series of Spooks (MI-5) are also being released on DVD this month. Thanks to Joane for the email.
3. A Vicar of Dibley career page has been added to the site and also some extra large promotional pictures from the 2006 Christmas Special in the gallery.
1. The full trailer for Captain America: The First Avenger has now been released and is on the career page. You can adjust the resolution so that you can watch in 1080i HD. Richard appears at 1.43.
All images from the trailer are now in the Captain America gallery – did you spot RA standing behind Hayley Atwell?
You can download a HD version of this trailer from the Yahoo movies site.
2. The Strike Back DVD will be available to buy in Australia on 5 May 2011. You can preorder it from the ABC shop or from EzyDVD for just under $30. Thanks to Michele.
3. Spooks on PBS in Atlanta: the last episode of Spooks series 8 will air Friday 25th March at 11.00pm and then series 9 will follow, airing next Friday 1st April at 11.00pm on WPBA Channel 30 in Atlanta. Here’s the TV schedule. Thanks to Gail.
4. Spooks on PBS in Washington State and Canada: Spooks series 8 will air on Saturday 2nd April at 10.00pm on KCTS Channel 9. Thanks to Audrey.
1. Last night’s Entertainment Tonight programme did not show any more images of Richard than those posted in yesterday’s news below, however there is extra footage from the film and an extra scene on the MovieWeb site.
2. The Vicar of Dibley downloads page has been updated with clips from the 2006 Christmas Special, clips from the 2007 Comic Relief special episode and two adverts.
3. Screencaps from the 2007 Vicar of Dibley Comic Relief special episode are now in the VOD gallery, with thanks to IslaJane for the images.
4. The winner and second place winner of our Spooks DVD boxset competition have been announced here.
Entertainment Tonight will be showing footage from Captain America: The First Avenger on their programme this evening, according to various news sites and The HD Room. Rumours that they will also show the full trailer have not been confirmed. There is a very brief glimpse of Richard as Heinz Kruger in the youtube clip embedded on that site, although thanks to Luna we can see a much better quality version on youtube here.
Click the images below to enlarge.
1. Filming on The Hobbit started today in Wellington, NZ and there were many reports in the media, Twitter and Facebook:
2. The film Frozen, filmed in 2005 featuring Richard as Steven and Shirley Henderson as Kath, will be shown on BBC1 and BBC1 HD on Thursday 31 March at 12.15am – 1.40am.
Spooks series 9 starts in Australia on Saturday 2nd April at 8.30pm on ABC1 and here is a promo video on the ABC site. Thanks to Bo for the link. Spooks 9 starts in New Zealand on Tuesday 22nd March at 9.45pm on UKTV.
The Impressionists, in which Richard played Claude Monet, is being shown in Hungary on Monday 21st March at 6pm on the Viasat History channel, and at other times during that week. Scroll down this page to see other show times. Thanks to Zsuzsanna. Some of the images on that page are also in The Impressionists Promo gallery on this site.
1. Sir Ian McKellen has blogged again to tell us that the first group rehearsal of The Hobbit has taken place at Stone Street Studios in Miramar, Wellington.
2. North and South will be shown on the BBC Entertainment channel in many countries throughout Europe starting Monday 21 March, at several times during the day. The next episode is on the following Monday. Check the TV schedule and click the ‘Change Country’ link at the top to get to the relevant schedule for your area. Thanks to Naama for the email.
3. Richard’s United Agents page has been updated to say that he is now shooting The Hobbit.
There is now a career page for Cleopatra on the site and a screencap gallery. Screen captures are courtesy of Jonia for spotting Richard in a few scenes in this television mini-series which was broadcast in 1999.
1. There’s a picture of Richard and British High Commissioner, Vicki Treadell on Flickr attending last Sunday’s fundraising cricket match in Wellington, New Zealand taken by UKinNewZealand, the official site for the British embassy in New Zealand. Thanks to RichardArmitageCentral for finding the picture.
2. Just added a review of Strike Back episode 2 on the Strike Back Reviews page from the Sydney Morning Herald courtesy of Angelique. The reviewer seems quite taken with Richard! Episode 2 will be shown on Saturday 19th March at 8.30pm on ABC1.
3. I’ve received another copy of the Spooks 9 DVD boxset to give away in a competition, however this one isn’t signed so I will give this as a 2nd prize in the competition that is currently running. Enter the competition here. The competition closes at midnight GMT on Tuesday 22 March.
Update: according to the packaging, this DVD will play on region 2 and region 4 DVD players (and multiregion players of course). List of qualifying countries is on the competition page.
1. Thanks to Mulubinba for the scan from the Newcastle Herald’s TV Guide, reviewing Strike Back on the Strike Back Reviews page. Another great review!
2. A reminder that Strike Back will be shown in Poland this evening, using the title “Kontra” at 8.20pm on TVP1.
3. Some lovely artwork added today with thanks to Angelfish69 and Mag, as follows:
Another good review about Strike Back in an Australian TV Guide on the Strike Back Reviews page, with thanks to Pauline for the scan.
The prices and links on the the RA on DVD page have been updated. Spooks series 9 is now available from the UK store of iTunes at a cost of £14.99 for the whole series or £1.89 per episode.
Here’s a new promo for Strike Back on youtube, courtesy of Bccmee, to publicise episode 1 which will be shown in Australia on Saturday 12th at 8.30pm on ABC1.
1. James Nesbitt has talked about training for The Hobbit and mentions Richard’s skill at horse-riding, down to three years spent filming Robin Hood of course: James Nesbitt talks ‘The Hobbit’ on Digital Spy.
2. The pilot episode of George Gently co-starring Richard Armitage as Ricky Deeming will be shown in France on Sunday 13th March at 8.30pm on France 3. Thanks to Laure.
3. There’s a good review of Strike Back in the Sydney Morning Herald this week, written by Nick Galvin. Read it on the Strike Back Reviews page. Thanks to Angelique for the scan. Strike Back will be shown in Australia on Saturday 12th March at 8.30pm on ABC1.
4. Our Spooks series 9 DVD competition has opened today – enter the competition.
Will Martin from Cultbox has interviewed the lead writers of Spooks series 9, Sam Vincent and Jonathan Brackley, to ask them about writing for Spooks and specifically about the exit storyline for Lucas. “Giving Lucas a heroic exit would have been the safer thing to do, and Kudos are admirably rigorous about not taking the easy option.”
Lots of pictures have been added to the
Lots of pictures have been added to the Strike Back Promo gallery, some of which have been found on these TV sites: Sky1, TVP (Poland) and BBC Germany. With thanks to Bccmee, Jonia and Violet for their help with sourcing many of these pictures.
As listed below (21 and 28 Feb), Strike Back will be shown in Australia on Saturday 12th March at 8.30pm on ABC1 and in Poland using the title “Kontra” on Monday 14 March at 8.20pm on TVP1.
Spooks 9 down under: series 9 of Spooks begins on Tuesday 22nd March at 9.45pm on UKTV in New Zealand (thanks to Missy for the email) and series 9 also starts in Australia on Saturday 2nd April at 8.30pm on ABC1.
This new promo picture from episode 1 of Spooks series 9 is from the UKTV site, thanks to Bccmee for extracting it (click to enlarge):
1. The April issue of Empire magazine has an article about The Hobbit Press Conference which took place on Feb 11th (see news below). Here is a scan of the artilce (click thumbnails to enlarge):
2. United Agents have posted another news item about Richard Armitage, this time regarding the nomination of Lost Land of the Tiger for a 2010 Royal Television Society Award. See news 28 Feb (#3) for details of the other nomination.
3. The Hobbit full titles have been registered according to TheOneRing.net. The first film will be called ‘The Hobbit: There and Back Again’ and the second will be ‘The Hobbit: An/The Unexpected Journey’.
1. There are many unconfirmed rumours on the movie sites around the web that the Captain America full trailer will air March 4th. In the meantime, ComicBookMovie.com have published a detailed description of the trailer, in which Richard appears with some brief dialogue between him and Steve Rogers.
2. The North and South gallery has been completely re-created, now with hundreds more pictures in better quality than before. Many thanks to Jen for helping me with this and all of her hard work.
1. Screencaps of Richard from the two documentaries on the new Spooks series 9 DVD are in the gallery.
2. Miss Marple: Ordeal by Innocence will be broadcast in Hungary on the Story4 channel on Saturday 12 March at 7.00pm. Thanks to Zsuzsanna.
1. I came across a new Santander advert on TV this morning, with Richard providing the voiceover as always. This one is for their Loyalty Flexible Cash ISA and you can watch it on the 2011 Adverts page.
2. Screencaps from the MSN TV Spooks interview are now in the MSN Spooks Interview gallery, with thanks to Bccmee for providing a HQ version for me to cap. Watch the original interview on the MSN TV site.
You can download the high quality version from Bccmee’s site or alternatively watch it on youtube courtesy of HeathRA.
3. United Agents have announced the nomination of the Venetia audiobook read by Richard Armitage on their website. The winners will be announced by the Audio Publishers Association on May 24, 2011 in New York. Naxos Audiobooks have forwarded a press release with the full list of nominations which you can read here.
4. Cultbox are offering the chance to win one of two Spooks 9 DVD boxsets. You must be resident in the UK to participate in this competition and it closes on Friday 11 March.
5. Strike Back in Poland: thanks to Ania for letting us know that Strike Back, using the title “Kontra”, starts on Monday 14 March at 8.20pm on TVP1. TVP is a public access channel so free for all to watch.
6. TheOneRing.net has a list of charitable organisations for you to donate to the NZ Earthquake appeal if you wish. Thanks to Amanda for the link.
7. Ordering The Lords of the North audiobook from abroad is not always straightforward and a response from the distributor, AudioGO Ltd, has been posted on The Lords of the North page. Note: “due to contractual territorial issues, the website cannot deliver the title to a US address” but there are ways around this! Thanks to Bccmee for obtaining the information via email from AudioGO.
Video interviews with Richard and the Spooks cast:
Cultbox have 4 short video interviews on their site with members of the cast, namely Peter Firth, Richard Armitage, Sophia Myles and Max Brown, to promote the release of the Spooks series 9 DVD.
There is a longer interview with Richard in his Spooks trailer on the MSN TV site, followed by an interview with Nicola Walker. Thanks to Viktoria for the email. Here’s some screencaps, click to enlarge:
1. Galleries updated:
2. New poll on the left-hand side to see which of Richard’s work you haven’t seen yet but want to see soon. Previously poll results are here. It seems Rupert Penry-Jones beat Brendan Coyle by a small margin in the end.
1. Richard’s United Agents page has updated with listings for The Hobbit and Captain America: The First Avenger. They still say he’s working on Spooks, but never mind…
2. The Venetia audiobook read by Richard Armitage has been nominated for an Audie award in the Audiobook Adaptation category. The awards are presented by the Audio Publishers Assocation. The winners will be announced by the Audio Publishers Association on May 24, 2011 in New York.
The review states: “Richard Armitage’s voice aptly conveys the attraction between Venetia and Damerel, making the most of the novel’s rich dialogue and clever turns of phrase. Armitage manages to express all of Heyer’s opinions about her characters with a subtle sense of the ridiculous. Exchanges between Venetia and Damerel emerge as especially intimate and wonderful. While the abridgment is gracefully handled, it’s a pity listeners won’t have the pleasure of hearing Armitage narrate the entire novel.”
3. A competition to win a Spooks series 9 DVD boxset (region 2), signed by Peter Firth and Nicola Walker will be announced soon. Watch this space…
4. Richard has narrated a documentary for the Discovery UK channel about HMS Ark Royal. The first episode aired last Tuesday evening, but it is repeated on Saturday 26th February at midnight and then again on Sunday at 5.00pm. This is an eight part series and the second episode is on Tuesday 1st March at 10.00pm, then repeated again several times: Discovery TV Schedule. It is on Discovery and Discovery HD simultaneously. A clip has been put on youtube. More programme information on blogs.yourdiscovery.com
1. The Spooks online video game mentioned in yesterday’s news gets a write-up on Entertainment-Focus.com with two new high quality pictures of Lucas North. Thanks to Bccmee for the link.
Many thanks to Entertainment-Focus.com for sending me the pictures of Lucas in HQ extra large – click the thumbnails below to see the full size.
2. Here is the Sky Press Release announcing that a second series of Strike Back has been jointly commissioned by Sky and HBO/Cinemax. They also state that “Richard Armitage returns as John Porter”.
1. Competition to win one of five Strike Back DVDs (region 2) on the BBC Germany site. Note these DVDs have both German and English language versions. Thanks to CDoart for the email. The Strike Back DVD in German is released by Amazon.de on 25 February.
2. There’s a short clip of Richard in this promotional video for the Spooks series 9 DVD on youtube. This video has been uploaded by Becomeaspook.com, which is an online video game tied with the release of the series 9 DVD.
1. News from New Zealand following the devastating earthquake in Christchurch:
2. Spooks in Israel: series 7 of Spooks will begin on Monday 28th February on channel 23, showing every day from Sunday – Thursday at 11.00pm and repeated on Friday and Saturday. Series 8 and 9 will follow after. With thanks to Maya. Translation into English.
1. Strike Back in the news today:
- Strike Back will be broadcast in Australia on Saturday 12th March at 8.30pm on ABC1 for 1hr 28mins, so it seems that episodes 1 & 2 will be shown back to back. Episodes 3 & 4 will be shown the following Saturday at the same time according to throng.com. Thanks to Bccmee for the links.
- It seems that filming for Strike Back series 2 is already underway in South Africa. This facebook page is for a stunt/athetic group who are working on the series.
- The Guardian has a brief article about the scheduling conflicts between many UK produced dramas and the filming of The Hobbit.
2. Three pictures of Richard filming Spooks series 9 episode 1 have emerged on Flickr, with thanks to Violet and also the Spooks Fan Blog for the links: photo 1, photo 2, photo 3. The photos were taken on April 8, 2010 and are copyright of ‘Anyhoo’.
1. The film doesn’t come out in the UK until 29 July, but the DVD for Captain America: The First Avenger is already listed on Amazon UK and also on Amazon US. Thanks to Susie for her message in the guestbook. The international release schedule for this film is on Marvel.com.
2. There is speculation that the full trailer for Captain America: The First Avenger will be released this week on ComicBookMovie.com
3. Thanks to Bccmee for a great new icon & signature set of Richard’s new bearded look on the Richard signatures page.
4. I’ve added to the North and South Promo gallery and added the following pictures from those I have been collecting over the years: #1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 14, 16, 20, 32, 33, 35, 36. I’m afraid the original sources are unknown. If you would like credit for any of these new pictures please contact me.
1. Spooks series 9 DVD (region 2) is released on Monday 28 February and here is the press release from the publicists. A review of the DVD is here on Cultbox: “the cast’s performances are as strong as ever, with the ever-reliable Peter Firth proving yet again why he’s so vital to the show as boss Harry Pearce, alongside Richard Armitage on outstanding form as troubled agent Lucas North.”
You can pre-order the DVD from Amazon or Play.com – more information on the RA on DVD page.
The producers of the Spooks 9 DVD, Universal Playback, have a photo gallery with two previously unseen photos of Richard as Lucas North similar to those on the bottom of this page of the Spooks Promo gallery. I’ve doubled the size of the pictures from that site, which you can view by clicking on the thumbnails below.
2. There’s a new pencil drawing of Richard with a beard on the Artwork page with thanks to GizTheGunslinger, based on his appearance at The Hobbit press conference.
3. New large picture of Richard as John Porter in the Strike Back Promo gallery – it’s the last picture.
4. The new Sky1 HD advert has clips of Richard as John Porter from Strike Back. It’s been uploaded on to youtube, or you can watch the embedded video on the 2011 Advertisements page.
5. The IGN Movies site has given a little bit more information about Heinz Kruger and his role in the forthcoming Captain America movie. Scroll to the penultimate paragraph on page 1. Mild spoilers.
1. Richard appears in the first episode of George Gently tonight in the UK on the Alibi channel from 9.00pm – 10.55pm. 1. Richard appears in the first episode of George Gently tonight in the UK on the Alibi channel from 9.00pm – 10.55pm. Alibi TV Listings.
2. I’ve added two more pictures to the Richard Miscellaneous gallery with many thanks to Janice for the scans. Picture #3 was taken when he was 22 years old in 1994 and picture #4 is also new to the gallery taken when he was rehearsing Hamlet in the autumn of 1998 at the Birmingham Rep Theatre, he was 27 years old. Press F5 to refresh the screen if you’ve visited this gallery recently.
1. The Biography page has been updated this morning, and the latest information is also updated frequently on the Career pages for each production. It seems that Rupert Penry-Jones is catching up with Brendan Coyle in our poll (see left-hand side). Please vote if you haven’t done so – thanks!
2. An article about The Hobbit press conference and a picture of Richard, Martin Freeman and Ken Stott, also here in the gallery, appeared in last Saturday’s New York Times. Thanks to an anonymous visitor for the scan. Click the thumbnail below to enlarge.
Strike Back in Japan: Strike Back will be shown on the Wowow TV channel in Japan on 19 February at 2pm with the second and third episodes following straight after at 3.35pm and 5.10pm. Thanks to Bccmee for the info.
1. A nice little report from 3news.co.nz about The Hobbit press conference is online: watch it here.
2. The Richard-only part of yesterday’s press conference is now on this wordpress site.
3. New poll on the left-hand side asking which male co-star you’d like Richard to work with again. Previous poll results are here and it seems Kate Winslet is the clear winner.
4. TheOneRing.net‘s report on yesterday’s press conference is well worth reading. On Richard: “Richard Armitage (Thorin) spoke surprisingly little, but when he did he had a notably deep voice, exactly right for Thorin, and real gravitas…”
5. Download of the full 38 minute press conference is available here, with thanks to Cesta.
Richard attends The Hobbit press conference: a press conference in Wellington, New Zealand was held on Friday morning. All 13 dwarves and Martin Freeman playing Bilbo Baggins were in attendance, but Peter Jackson could not attend due to being “under a form of medical house arrest” in order to recover fully from his recent operation.
Click to enlarge:
A gallery of 20 pictures from the press conference has been added here: Hobbit Press Conference gallery. With thanks to Cesta and Bccmee for some of the high resolution pictures.
The Hobbit career page has a full summary of all the news since Richard’s involvement in The Hobbit films was announced.
2. The German site Suite101.de has written an interesting and flattering career biography of Richard as a result of his casting in The Hobbit. Here’s a translation into English – it isn’t perfect as some words have not translated accurately but you can get the gist. Thanks to Susanne for the link.
1. The Telegraph has reported on Sky’s collaboration with HBO to make a second series of Strike Back with 10 episodes, and this was also reported yesterday by Deadline.com. Digital Spy have just reported that Richard WILL return to star in series 2. Digital Spy have confirmed that Sky are still saying Richard will return as John Porter for series 2, according to Sky’s latest press release.
Update: confirmation from Sky’s site that Richard will appear!
2. Thanks to Conchi for letting us know that Strike Back is being repeated in Spain and episode 2 will be shown today at 6.15pm on the Canal+Dos channel. There are further details about when the episodes will be shown again on that page. Here’s a translation into English.
3. Spooks 7 on Demand in the Netherlands: Dutch visitors may like to know that Spooks 7 can be watched with Dutch subtitles via the Misdaad Net channel’s video on demand service. This is available via the UPC or Ziggo providers. Spooks is still not available via the public channels unfortunately. Thanks to Violet for this information.
Channel DR1 in Denmark is showing Strike Back this evening – see news 2nd Feb below.
This Empire magazine page has high resolution images from their Captain America article, which is posted below in the news on 3rd February. The picture of Richard is also below (click to enlarge):
1. Captain America: The First Avenger trailer: shown during last night’s Superbowl, there is a very brief glimpse of Richard as Heinz Kruger in the sub. Here is the trailer is on youtube in 1080 HD and it can also be downloaded courtesy of HeathRA: 1080dpi HD trailer download.
Screenshots courtesy of HeathRA, click to enlarge:
For all the latest news about Richard’s appearance in this film, go to the Captain America career page.
2. Hobbit filming latest: according to the Waikato Times, filming on The Hobbit has been put back to March 21st as a result of “practical considerations of the filming schedule requirements, actor availability and the NZ seasons”.
Please vote in the new poll on the left-hand side which contains a list of the last 10 Academy Award winning actresses. Previous poll results are here.
There’s a six page article about Captain America: The First Avenger and a large picture of Richard as Heinz Kruger in the March 2011 issue of Empire magazine out today, with an interesting comment that they spotted Richard reading The Hobbit! Click on the thumbnails below to read the article.
1. Latest news about The Rover: From the English Touring Theatre, with thanks to Sandra: “The Rover is still in play, but it’s unlikely to be this year. We are still keen to do it but there are lots of t’s to cross and I’s to dot before it’s definite. We do know that there’s a real appetite for it if a certain Mr Armitage is involved, but he’s going to be in NZ filming The Hobbit for the next while so we’ll have to wait and see for now…”
2. The Vicar of Dibley gallery has been recreated with more and better quality pictures including a gallery for the documentary ‘The Story of Dibley’. If you have visited this gallery recently you may need to press F5 to refresh the screen in order to see the new gallery.
3. Spooks 7 in the Nordic region: BBC Entertainment will show Spooks series 7 in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland starting Sunday 13 February at 9.05pm. Thanks to MillyMe. Note that Robin Hood is shown on Sundays at the moment and that series 3 episode 6 will be shown just before Spooks starts on that same day, 13th Feburary – two hours of Richard!
4. Strike Back on Danish TV: DR1 will be showing Strike Back next Wednesday 9th February at 10pm. Each episode will air as a 90 minute ‘movie’ and episode 2 will be on the 16th February. Thanks to AJ who has translated the page: “Richard Armitage plays special ops soldier John Porter, who is sent on one dangerous mission after another. Two former soldiers, Major Hugh Collinson and veteran John Porter meet for the first time in 7 years in connection with a hostage drama in the Middle East. The mini series was shot in South Africa in fantastic surroundings and is filled with big scale action sequences. The series is based on Chris Ryan’s best seller Strike Back from 2007.”
1. The picture of the day archive for January 2011 has been added to the Picture of the Day menu on the left-hand side, or click here to download all the individual pictures.
2. There’s a new clip on the Elsa the Lioness page taken from the Natural World documentary, which aired this evening at 7pm on BBC2.
A clip from the Natural World: Elsa the Lioness documentary was shown on BBC Breakfast this morning. You can watch the clip that Richard narrates on the Elsa the Lioness page. The documentary will be shown on BBC2 at different times throughout the UK: tomorrow at 7pm in England and Northern Ireland, Wednesday 2nd February at 7pm in Wales and Saturday 5th February at 3.30pm in Scotland.
1. Strike Back will be shown on the FX channel in Italy on Thursday 3rd February at 9pm (more info below on 21st January). Thanks to Rossella for providing a scan from the Sat Guida TV magazine which you can see on the Strike Back reviews page with an English translation.
2. As reported on 20th January, a trailer for Captain America: The First Avenger will be shown during the Superbowl broadcast on Sunday 6th February. It is now confirmed that this trailer will be only 30 seconds long, but a 2½ minute trailer will be released soon, according to director Joe Johnston.
3. The Biography page has been updated and new pictures added. This is a history of Richard’s career and ends with a summary of the latest news.
1. There’s a new poll on the left-hand side asking if you intend to buy the Spooks series 9 DVD, thanks for voting. Previous poll results are here.
2. Episode 2 of Strike Back will be on RTL2 in Germany this evening at 10.40pm.
1. Filming of The Hobbit movies will be delayed slightly after director Peter Jackson was taken to hospital with a perforated stomach ulcer. More info on stuff.co.nz and the-hobbit-movie.com.
2. Strike Back episode 1 aired in Germany on RTL2 last night and Osnabrucker Zeitung have given it 5 stars. A translation of this article is on the Strike Back reviews page.
3. The Spooks 7 Publicity gallery, which contains screencaps of the interviews with Richard at the BBC Breakfast and This Morning studios on 27 October 2008, has been recreated with more pictures and better quality images. The original interviews can be watched or downloaded from the Spooks 7 Downloads page and a new clip has been added to that page, the Intro clip before Richard was interviewed on BBC Breakfast.
4. Some great comments from The Hobbit casting director Ros Hubbard on the IFTN site about casting for the films. On the casting process: “It was a huge event but it was smaller than the three Lord of the Rings. And it is still going on to a degree in that little things change, but the actors are all out in New Zealand now” and “working with Peter Jackson is like working with a family. So they’ll have a great time…everyone is very close and very loving on those sorts of jobs. It’s not like typical studio movies at all.”
1. The Strike Back DVD will be released with Dutch subtitles on 22 February 2011. You can pre-order via bol.com. Thanks to Mechtild.
2. Just added another Guy/Sheriff picture to the RH Promo gallery and a Harry/Geraldine picture to the Vicar of Dibley Promo gallery. Click ‘original’ image in the bottom right corner to see them in their full size. If you’ve visited these galleries recently you may need to press F5 to refresh the page in order to see the new pictures.
3. Strike Back in German will be released on DVD on 25 February 2011. You can pre-order at Amazon.de. Thanks to Bee.
4. I’ve replaced some pictures in the Strike Back Promo gallery with larger versions, as follows: #02, #03, #06, #09, #11, #13, #17. Click ‘original’ image in the bottom right corner to see them in their full size.
5. Richard is narrating Natural World: Elsa the Lioness on Tuesday 1 February at 7pm on BBC2. There are clips on that page so that you can see a preview of the programme.
Strike Back in Denmark: episode 1 will be shown on Wednesday 9th February at 10pm on DR1 as a 90 minute movie. The second episode will be shown on 16th February and the third a week later at the same time. Thanks to AJ.
1. Spooks 9 DVD Extras: details of the extras included on the series 9 DVD boxset have been released by Cultbox. They include 2 documentaries ‘The Cost Of Being A Spy’ and ‘The Downfall Of Lucas North’ and episode commentaries with Nicola Walker, executive producer Andrew Woodhead, Sam Vincent, Jon Brackley and writer Anthony Neilson. It is released on 28 February 2011. DVD ordering information on the RA on DVD page.
2. There’s an article in the UAE online publication, The National, about casting The Hobbit film, with a specific mention of Richard.
1. Spooks (MI-5) on PBS in Houston: episode 1 of series 7 was broadcast last night at 9.30pm on KUHT Channel 8 and it is repeated on Sunday at 11pm and Tuesday morning at 3am. Episode 2 will be shown at those times next week starting Thursday 27 January at 9.30pm. Here’s the TV Schedule (click on HD Channel 8.1). Thanks to Lynn.
2. Strike Back in Italy: Strike Back will be shown on the FX channel in Italy on Thursday 3rd February at 9pm. Episodes 2 and 3 are shown on the following Thursdays at the same time. Here’s the trailer on youtube which can only be seen in Italy. Thanks to Mamma_T for the email. UPDATE: Bccmee has uploaded the trailer to youtube so that we can all see it – and corrected the aspect ratio! Thanks B.
3. Three Strike Back trailers shown on German TV on youtube: number 1, number 2 and number 3. TV Schedule here on the RTL2 site.
Here’s a scan for the third episode of Strike Back thanks to NicK. This episode will be shown on January 29th at 10pm.
Tranlsation: Strike Back – Day of Revenge. TV Action Drama. Final of the three part series based on Chris Ryan’s books.
In Afghanistan MI6 agent John Porter must find computer hacker Gerald Baxter (Ewen Bremner ‘Trainspotting’). Baxter hacked British torpedoes which fired on US troops. Porter passed himself off as an arms dealer to cross his path. But both of them fell into the American’s hands who want to see Baxter dead.
Fast and crisply staged, nice jokes and two calculated surprises – even the last part of this British army-agent trilogy affords solid, amusing action. Bremner convinces as a ‘crackpot’ just as well as Armitage does as a hero. Incidentally, Armitage will play dwarf Thorin in Peter Jackson’s ‘The Hobbit’.
Larger picture: Hacker Baxter and Agent Porter come under…
Second pic: …direct fire
With no frills, exciting military film.
1. A trailer for Captain America: The First Avenger will be shown at this year’s Superbowl on February 6th according to CinemaBlend and various other movie sites.
2. Here’s a snippet from the German ‘TV Movie’ magazine (click to enlarge) with thanks to Barbara. Strike Back will air 26 and 28 January. TV Schedule here on the RTL2 site.
Tranlsation: TV action drama. After his mission in Iraq John Porter goes to Harare, Africa. Robert Mugabe, president of Zimbabwe, has been shot! When the gunman, Felix Masuku, gets caught he receives word that he shot the president’s doppelganger. Zimbabwe’s government blames Britain for the attack. The theory doesn’t seem strange, beause Masuku is a british ex-soldier. Special agent John Porter, disguised as a diamond-smuggler, infiltrates the prison to free Masuku …
The way from MI5 agent in “Spooks” to MI6 man Porter was hard for Richard Armitage: before starting to film the 39-year old actor did special training for ten weeks.
First pic: In prison Porter must put up with a lot.
Second pic: On the run with Masuku
Mission successful: crisp action series
3. Ypsilon from the German RA board has recorded the trailer for Strike Back which will air on Wednesday 26 January on RTL2. Here’s a link to the trailer.
1. The new lead in Sky’s Strike Back has been announced as Australian actor Sullivan Stapleton on the Herald Sun’s site. The series will now be co-produced by the US production company HBO. Thanks to Lynbryt for the link. As confirmed by head of Sky drama Elaine Pyke on 10 November, it does seem that Richard will be in some episodes of Strike Back but not all. On 7th December, this was confirmed again by David Stephenson, TV Editor of the Sunday Express on twitter: “For Richard Armitage fans, Sky says actor is in “some” episodes of Strike Back 2, but not all.” There has been no more confrmation as to whether this is still the case.
2. No scheduled date for Strike Back in Australia: just to give you an update on this, ABC have stated that while they have the rights to screen Strike Back there is no scheduled date at this stage. No news on Spooks series 9 either. Thanks to Ann for keeping us updated.
3. New poll on the left-hand side to see which role you’d most like to see made into a movie. Thank you for voting. Previous poll results are here.
The Hobbiton movie set is closed to the public between 14th February and 20th March, suggesting that the cast will be filming in Hobbiton during this time. Thanks to Kiri.
1. Two articles from a NZ site which suggests that filming on The Hobbit will start February 14th: www.stuff.co.nz and another via the Waikato Times.
2. Here’s an old interview with Lucy Griffiths in which she is extremely complimentary about working with Richard in Robin Hood. I don’t recall reading this before so perhaps this is new for some and a nice reminder for others! Robin Hood’s Lucy Griffiths On Playing Maid Marian. Thanks to Maria for the link.
3. Robin Hood and Spooks (MI-5) in Atlanta: Robin Hood series 1 will begin on Friday 21 January at 8pm on WPBA Channel 30. They will be showing the entire series and will follow on with series 2 and 3. The station has bought series 9 of Spooks (MI-5), which will air in April 2011. Thanks to Gail for finding out this info.
George Gently in Hungary: the pilot episode of George Gently co-starring Richard will be shown on the Movies 24 channel on 18 January at 1.00am and on the 21st January at 3.00am. Thanks to Zsuzsanna.
Robin Hood in New Zealand: the first series of Robin Hood will be shown on UKTV starting Saturday 22 January at 6pm and repeated on Sundays at 8am. Thanks to Missy.
2. Spooks DVD releases in France: series 7 and series 8 are being released in March: Series 7 details on Amazon France – Series 8 details on Amazon France. All other series of Spooks (MI-5) are also being released on DVD in March 2011. Thanks to Céline.
The Richard gallery has had an overhaul. There are a lot more photographs and they are split into three categories: Photoshoots and Promotional pictures, Interviews, and Events and Appearances. Hopefully this is much more organised. All the other galleries for his character roles are the same: Main Gallery.
1. Hobbit news: it has been confirmed that Sir Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis will be reprising their roles as Gandalf and Gollum respectively. Confirmation on theonering.net, Den of Geek, EmpireOnline and numerous other sites, including Ian McKellen’s own blog, in which he states that he will start filming on 21 February. The Examiner has stated that principal photography will start on 14 February – thanks Missy for that link. A summary of all the news relating to The Hobbit is on the career page.
2. Spooks 7 and 8 in Belgium: digital channel 8 is showing Spooks 7 and then Spooks 8 every day, three times day at 11.30am, 5.15pm and 7.50pm. Note that Robin Hood is also showing on this channel. Thanks to Anne.
3. Added a new pencil drawing of Lucas North by Obiskus on the Artwork page. If you’d like to leave a comment about any of the artwork on this site, please scroll down the Artwork page.
Spooks series 8 in Poland: BBC Entertainment will be showing Spooks 8 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 9pm starting Wednesday 19th January. There is also a Spooks page on that site with more information. Here’s a translated version. Thanks to Ania for the email.
As mentioned on December 21st below, Spooks (MI-5) series 8 will be shown on Canal+ in France on January 10th. The time is now confirmed as 8.50pm for episode 1 and 9.40pm for episode 2. Joane has provided some scans from the weekly magazine Numericable and translations. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge:
Translation of italicised text: Suspense, tension and emotion await you in this eighth series. One of the best.
Translation: Real evidence of the “savoir-faire” (know-how) of the English in terms of TV series, MI-5 is an “off the mainstream” spy serial that has a preference for reflection than action. The writers always take care to keep pace with hot current affairs, using reall and inconstant geopolitical configurations. Series 8, consisting of 8 unreleased episodes is broadcast on Canal + channel and shines due to its rigorous scripts and by the quality of the actors’ performance. The series begins exactly where the previous one finished. Death threats, energy shortages, kidnappings and dissident spies, their programme is heavy but exciting/thrilling. With Hermione Norris and Richard Armitage.
1. As mentioned on 23 December below, Strike Back will air in Germany on RTL2 on 26 and 28 January. Thanks to Susanne for passing on this link to the RTL2 site with more information and pictures.
Here’s a scan of an article in the German magazine ‘TV Today’ (click to enlarge) with thanks to Bee. She has translated the text in the blue box, which I am amused to say is: “Believable TV action about real hard blokes”!
Tranlsation: TV action drama in three parts. A British elite soldier must go to the trouble spots in the world.
After a failed elite mission in Iraq 2003, SAS man John Porter quit the service. But later he comes back undercover to Iraq, to rescue the British journalist Katie Dartmouth (Orla Brady).
Author Chris Ryan was an elite soldier in Iraq and Zaire before he established himself as an successful author of war memoirs and military thrillers. “The Ambush” (German title of the episode) leans on his own experiences from the first “Gulf War”. A second season is already being planned. (Repeated 3:35am, second part on 28th January)
First pic: Porter (on knees) meets enemies from the past
Top right pic: elite soldier on mission
Below right: Katie’s life is in danger
2. Two high resolution North & South pictures have been added to the N&S Promo gallery courtesy of the Russian RA site, with thanks to the admin Sharona.
1. Strike Back in Norway: the first two episodes have already been shown, but the third and fourth will be shown on the NRK3 channel tonight at 9.35pm and the last two episodes on Saturday at 10pm. NRK3 schedule information – Strike Back is called ‘Farlig oppdrag’ which means ‘Dangerous mission’. Thanks to MillyMe for the email.
2. Richard has come in 2nd place in a ‘Hunk of the Year’ poll in Woman’s Own magazine, beating the likes of Daniel Craig, David Beckham and Colin Firth. Thanks to LadyJuliana for the scan – click the thumbnail below to enlarge.
3. Star Wars, The Phantom Menance in Belgium: Channel 2BE is showing this film at 7pm on Saturday. Thanks to Lucia. It’s also showing in the UK on ITV1 at 3.35pm on Saturday. Richard appears briefly as a Naboo fighter pilot.
4. Spooks (MI-5) in Boston: PBS in Boston started showing Spooks series 8 last night. It airs Wednesday nights at 9pm on WGBH Channel 44 and the same episode repeats on Friday nights at 10.00pm on WGBH Channel 2. Thanks to Nancy for the email.
Captain America production designer Rick Heinrichs has revealed some of the plot of the film in a French magazine, and The Daily Blam have summarised the plot points. No mention of Heinz Kruger/Richard Armitage but a general overview of the storyline. A trailer for this film is expected in the next few weeks.
1. UPDATE 5th Jan – Spooks series 8 and 9 on PBS: WPBT Channel 2 (South Florida) will show series 8 of Spooks (MI-5) starting Thursday 13th January at 10.00pm and repeated on Sundays at 10.30pm and then show series 9 in the spring. This information confirmed by the network thanks to Bibi.
2. Richard has provided the voiceover for a new Santander advert promoting their ‘Zero Current Account’. You can watch or download it from the 2011 Adverts page.
3. Added a new 2011 Calendar Artwork page to the site with calendars made by Rossella and Teena for your personal use if you wish.
4. There’s a new poll on the left-hand side asking which of the types of creative outlet are you most interested in. Thanks for voting. Previous poll results are here.
1. Entertainment Tonight will soon release video footage of their Captain America set visit according to various sites on the internet and also comiingsoon.net. They have also reproduced a page from Empire magazine with a brief article about the forthcoming film – a larger image will be available soon.
2. Robin Hood series 2 will be shown again on BBC Entertainment in many countries throughout Europe and Asia starting Thursday 13 January. Click here for the TV schedule, choose your country from the time zone box then click where it says ‘select date’ and choose 13 January. The first episode will be shown 3 times on that day and then each week on a Thursday. Thanks to Zsuzsanna.
1. Spooks (MI-5) on PBS in the US: Series 7 will start on MPT2 in Maryland on Tuesday 4th January at 9:00pm EST and Series 8 started on UNC-TV in North Carolina, last night at 11.00pm and will air every Saturday evening at the same time. Thanks to Musa and Jeanne for the emails.
2. The picture of the day archive for December 2010 has been added to the Picture of the Day menu on the left-hand side, or you can view it and download all the individual pictures here.
3. BBC News is reporting that Dalton Mills in Keighley has been partially destroyed by fire after parts of the former textile mill set alight last night. An earlier BBC news story about the mill, used for exterior shots of Marlborough Mills in North and South is here. Pictures I took of the three mills used to film the BBC series are on our North and South locations page.
Further details on the Keighley News site, that the mill wing was affected.
4. The BBC Canada website has announced that Robin Hood series 3 will be shown on Tuesdays at 11pm, starting 4th January. Thanks to Cléo.
The PBS station in Austin, Texas, KLRU-TV, is showing Spooks (MI-5) series 8 starting on Friday 7th January at 10.00pm and repeating it on Monday 10th January at 12.00am. Thanks to Juanita for the email.
A reminder that Spooks series 8 is released from Amazon US on 25th January which is available to pre-order for $27.99. All the DVDs that Richard appears in are on the RA on DVD page.